Monday, February 24, 2020

Patty Cake, Patty Cake...

..Baker woman...  That was me today, but I didn't make cake, I made bread, two kinds.  I got a text from DS around noon that the spent grains were coming out of the mash tun at the brewery.  I had a bowl and measuring cup ready and set out.  The two recipes combined called for 4 1/2 cups of the grains; I got 5 just in case.



The first recipe I made was German Bierterberbrot.  It needed regular flour, whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups of spent grains, honey, salt, egg, and milk.  Oh, and yeast, but only a teaspoon, which didn't seem like enough yeast to raise up the volume of flour and grains.  The dough didn't cling to the dough hook so I let the hook beat up the dough by pressing it against the sides of the bowl.  I used a spatula to scrape it off so that it all got "kneaded."  Then I did a few minutes of hand kneading to add the last flour to take away the stickiness before setting it to raise.  It barely raised in an hour but the indentations my fingers made stayed so I punched it down and formed a batard.  That raised some in an hour so I baked it on the stone.



It was barely cool enough to slice when I cut it in half and sawed off a slice to try.  Mmm.






Then it was the Spent Grains Beer Bread's turn.  That one started with making a starter--water, sugar, and yeast--that you let bubble for an hour then stir it into 3 cups of the spent grains, followed by flour and not enough salt.  This dough didn't cling to the dough hook either so I did the same, let the hook beat up the dough and then did some final hand kneading.  That one had plenty of yeast to lift the grains and the flour, no trouble rising to double.  I cut the dough in half and made a pair of boules, round loaves baked on cookie sheets with cornmeal scattered on them.

 


I think they could have spent another 5 minutes in the oven but it's tasty and looks like bread so I'm good this time.  IF I make it again I'll remember to bake it longer.  I made notes.


While the dough was rising I succumbed to temptation and ordered a couple different Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day books--Healthy Loaves and Flatbread--used ones so I got both for less than either one costs new.  I can't wait until they come.



24 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

“You know I investigated the accident that killed her mother.  It was right after I made lieutenant.  She was strangely unemotional then and I found her the same way when we interviewed her on Wednesday.  Graybow seemed struck by her though.”  Archibald smiled at the memory of his partner being interested in the mousy bookstore owner.
“Did you know that Marlene still talks about how mean Tiffy, Kimmy and Teddy were to her when they were all in school?  I think she still has strong feelings about them.  She calls them “the Y’s.”  Kind of like they’re all a single entity.”  Cecilia looked at him to gauge his reaction to her words.
“You’ve got to be kidding!  That had to be 10 years ago.  You know how kids are.  Cruel.  I’m sure they’ve made it up.  Look at Marlene calling Tiffy for help with flowers for her mom’s grave.  And she obviously sold books to Kimmy since there was one of her bags in the locker room.  Holding a grudge for all these years is just silly.”
Cecilia kept her mouth shut but wasn’t convinced that Marlene is over the way she was treated in her teens.  She knew if she persists in her idea Det. Archibald just might tell the “little lady” to stay out of it and mind her own business.  She didn’t think she could stand silently for that a second time.
They continue their walk, making plans for trips to the theater and their hopes to steal away for a weekend before the end of the summer.
As they return to the parking area, Archibald told her they needed to stop at Kimmy Neal’s home.  He needed to set up an interview with Dwayne, Kimmy’s husband.  Cecilia was intrigued to see Kimmy’s home and meet her husband and readily agreed.


 
It was sunny and 49 yesterday and sunny and 41 today so last week's snow is melting away from the retaining wall which faces south and concentrates the heat of the weak late winter sun.  I don't mind
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

All that bread looks and sounds intriguing and has to taste good right out of the oven. Glad you didn't resist temptation and sampled a little slice. I sometimes think we're on the same wave length or something because even though I didn't bake bread yesterday, I did make crackers! Easy recipe; made before and always good with my four o'clock afternoon glass of wine. Thanks for your sweet note. Return trip to Rosy Tomorrows definitely on next year's agenda.