Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sweater!

This afternoon I finished the Montparnasse Eco Cardi.  I wove in the tails tonight at Knitting
Guild so I have a new cardigan.  I love it--and it fits.  Many thanks to VJ who did a program at Guild in April about making sweaters that fit.  She gave me the tools to convert the pattern to my size and the yarn that I had and wanted to use, now that knowledge has turned into the best sweater I've ever knitted.  I can't wait until it's chilly enough to wear it.  This was going to be the crowning achievement of my Summer of Basics makings but life intervened.  I am happy to report that I finished the sweater before the actual end of summer which is next Saturday.  Whew.



I looked out the patio doors this morning and spied the sedum plant up on the retaining wall just blooming away.  I'm not a fan of pink but I do like this pink flower glowing against the juicy green of the thick leaves of the plant.




My two butternut squash are still on the vine and promise a couple of yummy suppers or cauldrons of soup this winter.  Speaking of butternut squash, I had the idea to make a veggie-full sheet pan supper that I could portion out to eat in rotation with the chicken spaghetti that I made last month (and haven't eaten any of), and the glorious Moroccan lamb meatballs DIL1 gave me last weekend that I froze in meal portions.  I  started the pan of butternut squash cubes, onion wedges, cauliflower florets, and garlic cloves tossed in a little olive oil, and S&P first, letting it roast for about 20 minutes before putting in the second sheet pan of marinated boneless chicken breasts, broccoli florets, green beans, and a couple carrots in for about 30 minutes more.  All of the veggies are absolutely perfect.  The chicken is overcooked and dry.  I thought about going to the store for breast halves with the bones and skin but I'm trying to eat meat that I have before buying new (all of the veggies except the carrots and cauliflower were newly bought) so I didn't.  I should have taken the chicken out after the first 15-20 minutes which I will do next time.  I'll just cut it up small and stir it into the veggies, maybe with a little broth, when I reheat it.  It's very good.  I had some of the veggies with half of the leftover ribeye steak I brought home on Monday night.  Yum.



Speaking of yum, I decided to treat myself to scrambled eggs with scallions and cherry tomatoes from the garden with a little Neufchatel cheese dabbed on top for breakfast.  I even thawed out a little WW turkey breakfast sausage patty too and toasted an English muffin.  I'm trying very hard to get back to eating better.  Some days I do better than others.  (We will not discuss the quart of Baskin Robbins PB & Chocolate ice cream I made disappear this week.)

 

I rejoined Netflix last week, a streaming account, but was highly disappointed to discover that Firefly is no longer on the streaming list.  It used to be.  I watched it many times when I was still working.  I signed up for the DVD Netflix too (you get a free month) and put Firefly on my list.  But then I realized that for about $5/DVD I could order a used set from Amazon and wouldn't have to pay $5/month forever or until I remembered to cancel it.  So I did.  Ordered it, I mean.  It came today.  Guess what I'll be doing this weekend.  This afternoon I searched "slow TV" on Netflix streaming and found a whole long list of slow TV shows, fireplace videos, ocean shows, excellent things to have on the screen when a person is sitting on the couch finishing a cardigan.  There're even shows from Sweden that are nothing but people knitting.  Riveting.  Not.

September 20--Daniel Ridgeway Knight, An Autumn Stroll.  The leaves blown off the trees in last night's storm crunched under Karin's shoes as she walked on the trail.  She didn't notice the colorful carpet underfoot or the exuberant song of the red-winged blackbirds perched on the reeds along the ditch.

That's it.  It's late and I have to get up early tomorrow.  I even set my alarm.  Horrors.  I should probably practice getting up at 6 o'clock because that's the time I'll need to get up next month when I'm at The Clearing.  Toodles.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The sweater is a triumph and I can't wait to see a picture of you wearing it. Maybe next month at The Clearing??? Your roasted veggies sound delicious. At least it took you a week to finish off the ice cream. You could have gone crazy and eaten it all at one time as you binged on Netflix.