Sunday, September 23, 2018

Jackpot!

I've been looking for a little bag of Dum Dum suckers for months.  I looked in Walmart, in
Walgreens, in Shopko, in Pick 'n Save and had no luck.  It occurred to me today that I should look in the candy aisle when I was in Sam's because they have Dum Dum suckers at the bank and I assume banks buy in bulk.  Jackpot!  I found a bag of the suckers in the candy aisle, a bag of 500 of 'em.  Guess what the trick-or-treaters are getting at my house this year.

I spent most of today zoned out on the couch watching TV.  I wasn't knitting either, just staring at the tube.  After my trip to Sam's and Walmart I went downstairs to sew together those pants but managed to sew the two fronts together and the two backs together down the side seams.  Oops.  So the second half of my sewing time was devoted to sitting hunched over with my seam ripper so I can take another run at it tomorrow.  My Great-Grandma Stephan always cautioned that any stitches you sew on Sunday you'd end up picking out, guess she was right.


This evening I decided to sit down with the instructions and cast on a Twisty Toes sock.  This is a toe-up pattern that starts on the side of the big toe and grows in wedges around the toes until it straightens out on the foot and then is normal in the heel and leg.  See this?  It's the third attempt at starting.  After I took the picture I ripped it out--again--and started over.  I might have it right but won't be able to tell until I'm further along.  Maybe I should stick to plain old knit and purl projects...

September 23--Alexander Koester, Ducks on a Riverbank.  Ella followed the sound of quacking.  She had to be very quiet and move slowly.  She was sure that the clutch of eggs she'd been watching had hatched.  Or if they hadn't already they were about to.  Aunt Jane told her not to disturb the ducks but the sight of those white ovals all jumbled in their nest of feathers and grass and the soft murmuring quacks of the duck and drake were irresistible.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep.  I'm not a fan.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I hope you have lots of trick or treaters to help you get rid of all those Dum-Dums. Either that or you'll have a sucker in your mouth every time you sit down to knit. Come to think of it, that isn't a bad idea. Knitting and hands-free snacking. Glad you liked the picture of our disappearing window. Now I have a whole wall to decorate.