Thursday, September 13, 2018

Knitting Down the Home Stretch

Last night when I finished sewing the Montparnasse Eco Cardi parts together I left it laid out on the coffee table so I could admire it when I got up this morning.  After breakfast I thought maybe I'd just start picking up the stitches for the collar so I did.  Then I knitted one row and went off to write up an abbreviated knitting guild newsletter.  After finishing that I took a run to Joann Fabrics and spent my birthday gift card (and then some) on some lengths of flannel for winter dresses, then I came home to knit more rows.  I got about 1/3 of the collar knitted before my hand started hurting from the repetitive motion so I quit.  I'll give my hand a rest until tomorrow night, then do some more rows.  Maybe I'll get this done a whole lot sooner than I thought.



As for the newsletter I managed to crank out four pages, three of them the list of officers and committee chairs, the weather policy, the meeting times, in short, all the things that get reprinted every month without much change.  Since our summer meetings are just a gathering in the park across the street from our indoor meeting place without programs there isn't anything to report.  Mostly I wanted to send out a reminder that monthly meetings start up next week and to tell people what's happening then.




I hit the jackpot at Joann's.  I found five different flannel prints (the 4 prints were 50% off, the plaid was full price but I had a 60% off coupon) and a couple skeins of cotton & polyester yarn.  I need to draw off the pattern of Dress no. 3 which is a caftan that I think will be lovely in flannel for winter lounging around the house.  I'm thinking I'll use the farmer's market fabric (lower left) for that.


My elementary and high school classmate stopped by this afternoon to check out the retaining wall and take some measurements so he can work up an estimate.  The wall is falling apart in quite a few places so it must be fixed, hopefully before winter.  I called a painter who'll stop next week to give me an estimate to paint the inside of the house.  It occurred to me that the bedrooms haven't been painted in decades.  It's time.  Better to get all this work done now when the weather's in our favor.

September 13--Cup with Coral-shape handle and Shell-shape dish.  A shaft of sunlight pierced the dusty antique store window to illuminate an iridescent teacup shaped like a seashell.  Mairie picked it up and ran her fingers over the smooth surface.  She searched the shelf for more but found none.  She stood back and scanned the display cases and shelves nearby but didn't see anything there either.  Mairie thought that the cup looked like it came from a fairy tale.  Lately her life had been anything but a fairy tale.  She bought the cup and vowed to drink from it until her luck changed.

That makes very little sense to me but *shrugs* whatever.  At least I wrote.  Hey, a month from today I leave for The Clearing.  Woohoo!  Can't wait.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You definitely scored in the fabric department. Love all that flannel and the sweater is turning out to be one of your best efforts. So glad you have The Clearing to look forward to and don't forget you have a Florida getaway in your future. So glad we're down here and not in Wilmington anymore. Especially right now with that hurricane on top of them.