Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Waiting for a Call Back

I made three important getting-things-done phone calls this morning and had to leave a message for a call back at each one.  So I spent until 3 o'clock hanging around, not doing much, poking around on the internet, waiting for calls.  When none had come by then I got into some yardwork clothes and went out to weed the maple seedlings out of the rock retaining wall on the side of the house.  I hadn't been out for five minutes when it started to sprinkle, then before I could decide to stay out or go in, it started to rain so hard I was soaked before I straightened up.  I backed against the house under the eaves thinking it'd stop as quickly as it started.  Nope.  It kept raining and I was trapped there so I went back to weeding.  I worked for about 20 minutes in the rain and as I finished up the rain petered out and stopped.  *sigh*  My glasses were wet, my clothes were wet, my hair was soaked, and I was glad I had on Crocs instead of leather shoes.  Naturally I didn't take before and after pictures because I didn't want to get my phone wet.  Trust me, it looks better not having foot-tall volunteer maple trees growing out of it at intervals.  Oh, and one of the volunteer trees' leaves had turned red so even though it was in the high 80s and humid as all get-out today, evidently autumn is on the way.  *double sigh*  BTW, only one unsatisfactory call back by 5 PM.  Sheesh.

I did a lot of pile-sorting-through today too.  I cleared off the table a couple times last week and things I remembered seeing had disappeared.  I found expired ads and junk mail, cooking magazines and Joann Fabrics coupons, things I have no idea why I kept and the things I was looking for.  Plus pictures of LC and OJ with Durwood that I told them I'd frame for them to hang in their rooms.  Gotta do that tomorrow.

This evening I finished knitting the last 10 rows of the Montparnasse Eco Cardi back. Tomorrow it goes downstairs for a soak in wool wash, gets the water pressed out of it, then re-pinned to these foam tiles to dry before I sew the fronts, sleeves, and the back together.  After that stitches get picked up all around the opening and a collar band gets knitted on and it's done.  Like I said, it missed being finished by the end of August for Summer of Basics but it'll be done before winter comes.

September 4--Early Byzantine, St. George Slaying a Dragon.  He rode in on a white horse, his gold-trimmed burgundy cape spread behind him like wings.  A small man rode behind him.  George boasted for years about that day.  "No one had ever seen a dragon like that.  It was so bad-tempered that even other dragons were afraid of it."

Okay, maybe inspiration didn't strike last night either but I'm not giving up.  One of these nights the words will flow and I'll be awake to capture them for you.  Constant vigilance.  My cold is better but I always seem to get a cough that interrupts my sleep.  It has arrived.  Robitussin to the rescue!  I hope.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Determination is your middle name. Takes more than a soaking rain to stop you from any chore you set your mind to. But better soaked with rain than with sweat. At least that job can be checked off your To-Do list. Hope you get those other call backs today. It's so frustrating to always have to leave a message and wait.