Friday, September 7, 2018

Weed Free

At least for the moment.  I need to get me some Roundup and scald the plants that I couldn't uproot.  Hmm, scald... maybe I should just pour boiling water on them instead of chemical poison.  I'll have to think on it.  This morning I was outside starting to stuff the weeds into the corner of the back yard in my informal compost area when LJ from next door called out asking if I wanted to load all my weeds into the back of his pickup to take to the yard waste.  Yes!  The next thing I knew he asked from behind me if his truck was in the right place.  He had stopped staining his deck and drove over, then backed his truck alongside the garden so I could drag the piles of weeds over on a tarp and load them up.  Then he went back to staining saying, "Call me when you're ready."  I got it all loaded then drove his truck back to his place when he said that he needed to go get more stain so he'd just drop the stuff off.  Nice man.  Look at what I uncovered.  This is a sedum, I think, and it's got pale pink and white flowers on it.  It was totally hidden by the weeds.  I think Dad planted this.

I got the latest batch of forms filled out and sent in, these were so I keep getting Durwood's Gillette pension which comes from Proctor & Gamble now since they bought Gillette a few years back.  Honestly these people are form crazy, first there's the Pension Dept. sending forms twice (different forms each time), then the life insurance people, and finally the health insurance lady.  I called her yesterday trying to make heads or tails out of a paragraph in the letter I got from them last Friday saying "if your spouse was A, then B" in about 5 different ways with 5 different possible configurations of insurance coverage.  Turns out nothing will change for 12 months then shortly before the end I'll get a letter telling me which "if, then" category I fall into.  Reassuring... not.  I also found out today that I can't change the house deed on my own, that I need an attorney to get and process the form.  All I need to do is show up with the property tax receipt from last year and a copy of the death certificate--and my checkbook, of course.  Good thing I got 10 copies of the death certificate, they're a hot commodity, everybody wants one.



I sent the back of the Montparnasse Eco cardi through the spin cycle this morning, then patted it into shape to dry.  As soon as it's dry I'll check online as to how best to sew the welt seams (that just means they stick up on the outside), get the pieces arranged, and start turning pieces of flat knitting into a sweater.


 
Tonight at Friday Night Knitting I added the heel flap, heel turn, and gusset to the Reds Brown Sheep Slipper Sock.  I'm going to really like this one, so much that I might have to make a second one, not exactly the same but with similar yarn so there'll be a pair-like twosome of them.  I know I have other colors of this yarn in my stash...

September 7--Ernest Walbourn, The Bluebell Glade.  Down in the hollow where the stream meanders between clumps of river beech Dale sat staring at his knees.  There were grass and dirt stains on them and there was a tear in the left one right below his kneecap.  He felt stinging there too so he'd probably scraped it when he fell.

Man, I'm tired.  Of course I did drag all those weeds across the yard and into a pickup truck which was hot and sweaty work--again.  Then I took Durwood's guns to a dealer and sold them and all the other gun stuff he had.  I'm relieved to have it all out of the house.  I still feel numb about the whole thing.  I'm sure grief is coming but for now I'm just tired.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

No wonder you're tired. That was an enormous undertaking. We emptied a closet in the blue guest room this week and just pulling all the junk out of that wore me out. Of course, I stopped often because a lot of the "junk" is old snapshots. It's always dangerous to start going through those. But I love taking a stroll down memory lane. Take a break today - OK?