Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Perfect Day for Looking at the Bay


Today I drove up to Door County to spend the day with my friend, KS.  We met at Bargains Unlimited, the thrift shop in Sister Bay where I scored 2 turtlenecks and a handful of packets of bias tape for binding necklines and armholes of the clothes I've been sewing.  Then we carpooled over to The Creamery where she ordered lamb gyros and I ordered a flatbread BLT then we swapped half of our sandwiches.  There are no photos of the food.  It didn't stay on the plates long enough to pose.

Once we'd renewed our memberships in the Mickey Mouse Clean Plate Club (I think I might have been a charter member) we drove to the hidden marina behind the Pioneer Store in Ellison Bay where we plonked our chairs in a patch of sunshine and knitted and chatted the afternoon away.  Ahhh.  One cool thing that just tickles my dorky self is that as we sat down I noticed a freighter sailing down the bay and when I drove up onto the tallest bridge in Green Bay, 80-some miles south, about 5 hours later there was the freighter just sailing into the mouth of the bay.  I don't know why that made me happy but it did.  Like I said, I'm a dork.  *shrugs*



Yesterday I got out my clips and attached the parts of the Montparnasse Eco cardi together.  I suspect that the top of the sweater back is a bit wide but I think I can do a little skootching it in when I pick up collar stitches once the parts are all sewn together.  I have plenty of the red yarn left so the collar will be in red to tie it all together.  I'm going to like this, I can tell.





I finished the toe of the Reds Brown Sheep Slipper Sock today.  When I tried it on I realized that I added an extra row at the toe so it looks a lot like there's a nipple at the end of the foot.  Good thing I haven't woven in the tail so I can pick it out, frog back that one row, and close it up again.





Then I cast on another Brown Sheep Slipper Sock, this one in Orange & Lemon and using some red/orange/yellow/black variegated for the stripes.  It'll have the same design as the Reds sock but will be different colors.  What?  It'll be a pair, except for the colors.  Trust me.




September 9--Luis Edigio Melendez, Still Life with Melon and Pears.  The fly buzzing drove him mad.  The heat was bad enough but that sound coming at him from every direction was unbearable.  He looked around the room at the others.  None of them showed any sign that they heard the fly.  Was it only him?  Surely someone else heard the incessant sound that rasped his nerves like the coarsest sandpaper.  His hand trembled and his brush left a streak of ultramarine across his painting.  Not a terrible thing if he worked in oils but this was watercolor and it was a catastrophe.

There's a Packer game tonight.  There was a flyover.  I missed it.  Drat.  I also think I sunburned my lips a bit today.  They feel like it but I don't remember the sun hitting my face... Oh well, more lip balm.  Yesterday I went downstairs and started the laundry. The first load of sheets washed just fine but when I went down to fold the sheets out of the dryer and put the next load in, the washer was full of water and the timer dial was ticking along slowly and nothing was happening.  Really???  I need this now????  So tomorrow I call Clyde the appliance fixit guy and hope he can fix it or I guess I'll be buying a new washer this week.  Sheesh.  Good thing I have a lot of clean undies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh I like that sweater too -- and the "pair" of socks as well. Lots of color but that's your trademark -- especially in the socks department. Sounds like a nice day in Door County. I just now was reading my notes from the trip up there I took with girlfriends in 2007. Such a pretty part of the state. Lots of memories. Love your happy connection with that freighter. Sounds crazy but I get it.