Thursday, September 27, 2018

Well, That Didn't Work Out

I spent the morning reading my novel manuscript and making notes on what needed
changing.  I got about halfway through when I read a reference to a scene I remember writing but didn't find in the novel.  Dang.  So I came in here to the computer and searched through the Seaview folder for it.  Didn't find it.  Looked through the Prose folder.  Didn't find it there either.  A couple years ago I had a dedicated Seaview USB drive that stopped loading so I just copied the one from the hard drive onto a new one and went on my merry way but kept the one that wouldn't load.  Today when that scene/chapter was nowhere to be found I dug out that defective USB and took it and a new one to the computer fixit guys to see if they can't yoink the files off the broken one.  I didn't hear from them but hope to tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.



Then I went out and pulled some more mutant carrots from the garden, fired up the oven, and roasted them and the golden beets I got at the Farmer's Market on Saturday.  Yummy.  Next time I have an assistant I think we'll pull all the carrots and scrub them in a bucket outside.  That should be good for at least an hour's splashy play, don't you think?


The afternoon was taken up with chasing off to see if I couldn't get that darned USB thingy fixed and then strolling the aisles of Fresh Thyme Market for a few things, like pine nuts which cost an arm and a leg.  I bought about 1/2 cup of them and they were $3.58 on sale.  Sheesh.  But I printed off a recipe for a chicken, pesto, and spaghetti squash casserole that looks good so I searched the WW site and found a WW pesto recipe that doesn't have a bock of olive oil in it that I can sub for the high-fat kind.  Oh, and I stopped at the neighborhood Farmer's Market for zucchini and a spaghetti squash.

So I didn't sew today.  I did knit a few rounds on my Christmas at Sea cowl while I waited for the painter to come to look around and make an estimate so the day wasn't a total creative bust.  The cowl doesn't look all that different so I didn't take its picture.

September 27--Caravaggio, The Fortune Teller.  The old woman's fingers glided over Mary's palm like silk.  "You have a long heart line," Madame Zouzatska said.  The light in the tent consisted of three candles that had burned so low that they gave off scant light so Mary didn't think the fortune teller saw her roll her eyes. Why had she come in here?  She could barely afford gas to get to work, so paying some old fraud $20 to get her palm read was foolish.

I wish the weather would make up its mind.  I feel like I'm getting another cold so about an hour ago I zoomed over to Walgreens for more Zicam.  I have enough Halls.  *cough, cough*  Good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

"Mutant" is the right word to describe your carrot crop. However, I don't think that will worry your assistant when you pull out the remainder to be scrubbed. Splashy fun always works for a busy little boy. (And his MeeMaw)