Sunday, September 16, 2018

My First Binge


 

I rejoined Netflix the other day and today I figured out how to find it and make it play on the TV.  I had a membership a couple years back and Netflix saved my list of shows so I went back to the first episode and watched Grace & Frankie episodes all day, 10 of them I think, while pinning and cutting out fabric.  First I traced the Dress no. 3 (aka caftan) pattern onto that weird fabric I bought a bolt of at a thrift store in Sheboygan taking out about 4" in length and grading a smaller top onto a bigger bottom, then I downsized the Dress no. 1 pattern piece because I've lost about 30# since I first used it and the dresses are a bit big in the top lately.  Not complaining, not a bad problem to have.





Once that was done I went downstairs to find and iron the fabric I wanted to cut out, brought it upstairs and got to pinning and cutting.  When I was searching for the gauzy fabric with the fronds in brown and orange on it I came upon a bunch of bottom-weight fabrics I forgot I have.  Good thing because I was thinking that I wanted to go get some denim and other solids to make more pants.  Now I don't have to buy any.  Hooray!


I've been avoiding going outside the last week because all the rain we had a couple weeks ago has engendered a mosquito population explosion.  It's terrible.  It feels like all of the mosquitoes on Earth are swarming around.  I took LC and OJ to a park yesterday afternoon and we got eaten alive--and I'd sprayed us all with Off! about 4 times in an hour.  I think the worst part is that there hasn't been a breeze to blow the little bastards around so they're free to feast on our tender skin.  Ack.


We filled the feeders and immediately attracted a chipmunk to the peanut wreath.  At first there was a bluejay there but the horde of chippies chased it away.



 



Happily the chipmunks haven't figured out how to take over the nectar feeder so there're still hummingbirds coming for a pre-migration snack.


September 16--Henri Rousseau, Child with Doll.  The doll looked like it had been through a lot.  Its hair had been chopped off unevenly, almost to the scalp on the left side.  Someone had drawn on the porous plastic skin with a ballpoint pen, drawn geometric designs that looked like tribal tattoos.  At least it wasn't naked or decapitated.  Jean had removed too many little girls from homes where all of the dolls were strewn around with limbs and heads removed.  It made her sick and deeply sad.

I realized earlier this evening that I didn't feel guilty for not getting dressed and not doing any chores today, except for a sink of dishes.  This is a step in the right direction for me.  I've spent the last few years racing around like a crazed weasel getting things done, making things safe and easy for Durwood that it felt like the way I was supposed to be.  Well, now that I've only got myself to care for maybe I can dial back the crazy a bit and take things easy for a change.  I'm going to give it a go, see how I like it.  Wish me luck.
--Barbara

3 comments:

Aunt B said...

What a great day you had. Doing things you love to do accompanied by Grace & Frankie in the background. I spent some time with your Packers and had to settle for a tie game. There's a saying about a tie being like kissing your sister -- not satisfying at all. But better than a loss.

Mary B. said...

Grace and Frankie was my first Netflix binge as well. I'm new to the Netflix world.
Laughed and cried a lot.

Mary B. said...

And apparently blogging.