Wednesday, September 12, 2018

*Head, Slap*

Clyde, the washer fixit guy, came this afternoon and it took him less than 5 minutes to fix the washer.  It seems that the "cycle speed" buttons (those square ones on the left) had both been pushed in halfway so the washer didn't engage.  D'oh.  It cost me $75 to learn that I should keep getting both the washer and dryer fixed until parts are no longer available because "the new ones are disposable" and to push all the buttons before I call the repairman.  It could have been a lot more expensive.


While he was pushing the washer's buttons I made a batch of Fast & Beefy Meatballs.  I found this simple meatball recipe for Fast & Friendly Meatballs a couple years ago that started with ground turkey and had very few ingredients.  It was okay but I ended up doctoring it up, adding onions, garlic, bell peppers so that it had FLAVOR.  The all-turkey balls are 1 WW point each.  I wanted to use up some ground beef in the freezer so I made them half-turkey and half-beef today so they're 2 WW points each.  Still tasty.





 

The most exciting discovery today was I GREW POTATOES!!!!!  


I went out to pick the raft of red tomatoes this morning and noticed that the red-skinned potato plant had withered.  I took that as a sign that it was time to grope down into the bale to see if there were any potatoes and there were.  Look!  I pushed one small potato into the bale along with a couple handfuls of Miracle Gro soil and got 8 potatoes back.  It's like magic.  I cooked the biggest one tonight and had half of it along with a few meatballs and all of the cherry tomatoes that had split.  Yum.







Building on my potato-growing triumph I tackled replacing the socket and cord of one of the table lamps in the living room.  I found out that it's really easy and there are directions on the package.  I carried these lamps back from Jamaica about 30 years ago so when this one stopped working I surmised that it needed new guts so I got some at Home Depot and fixed it today.  *pats self on back* (hey, there's no one around to do that anymore)


Once Clyde left I got the laundry started so while I waited for loads to finish I got busy sewing the pieces of the Montparnasse Eco Cardi together and finished it.  Next I get to pick up stitches all around the front opening to knit on the collar.  I'll start that tomorrow maybe, this weekend for sure.  I want to be finished by the time I go to The Clearing in mid-October.


September 12--Paul Cezanne, Chateau Noir.  The building was dark.  Moonlight glinted on the windows as Beth hoped she had enough gas to get up the hill to the chateau.  Her plane had been delayed and she had gotten lost.  This was not the way she had planned to start her vacation.

Got my first survivor's Social Security check today.  I'm happy that happened automatically.  I suppose the funeral guys contacted the SS, I don't know.  All I know is that's one office I didn't have to contact and they didn't send forms.  I'll be glad when everything is wrapped up.  This whole new single life thing is a challenge.  I feel like every part of my life is different, changed, rearranged and I'm trying to iron out the wrinkles.  I suspect it'll take a while.  Probably why I've begun falling asleep whenever I sit down.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Falling asleep like that is probably your body's way of saying you can't do everything at once. But I'm trying to think of something you can't do. All things are possible with you == but not all at once. Love the potato harvest. Like finding buried treasure. Glad the washer repair was only $75 -- could have been worse.