Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Low-Cut Blouse...

...is buried under a long-sleeved shirt and a wool sweater, so it's not promising anything. Actually I'm wearing a v-neck t-shirt so it's not really low cut but hey, I can dream can't I? Nice image, Roi, can't wait to read about it.

Mercy, it's cold today. Right now it's 3 degrees but it's supposed to catapult up to 7 by midafternoon. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 9. Woo! Good thing I got my second order of toe warmers yesterday so my tootsies don't freeze and fall off. Excuse me while I put some on right now. Ahh, that's better. I wish we could walk outside in winter. We do if it's not too cold but lately it's been pretty nippy, mall walking is just not as satisfying, it's boring going around and around. I did manage to do some Wii Fit yoga this morning; it felt good to stretch. Look! Writing!

February 7--Johannes Vermeer, Study of a Young Woman. Her face looks unfinished, the high forehead, nearly invisible brows, and lips so pale pink that they fade into her flesh. She looks like a child playing dress-up in the close cap with the veil down her back and the heavy satin of the wrap around her shoulders. Her smile is barely on her lips but it sparkles from her eyes ready to reappear. It isn't a portrait, you see, there's no name on it, no august personage paid to be immortalized. It's a study of light on skin and fabric, a sketch in oil on canvas that somehow escaped the studio for the outside world.

I had the devil of a time not writing what I'd read in the book The Girl With the Pearl Earring. I just checked on Amazon and it's not the same girl at all! Look at that, Johannes had more than one young woman model for him. Lucky him. The article I read about him called him "the Sphinx of Delft" because so little is known of him, and it said that he was a master of painting light. I think that's an excellent thing to be known for. Stay warm today!
--Barbara

No comments: