Friday, February 5, 2021

Windy

I woke up to a surprise--my driveway had been cleared of the 6 inches of snow we got yesterday.  What?  I guessed that my next door neighbor had come down and cleared it, I texted him, and he said he'd cleared 7 driveways before 7 o'clock.  He had to be frozen like a Popsicle.  All I had to deal with was a small plow drift from a late pass from the snowplow so I got bundled up and went out.  Man, was it cold and windy.  The wind blew the snow around, off the roof, and sculptured the drift in front of the patio door.  My mittens were no match for the 9 degree cold so as soon as I came in (and my fingers thawed out) I went online to The Clearing's store and ordered a pair of felted wool fleece lined mittens (like Bernie's inauguration mittens) to be shipped to me.  I hope they come soon.  No birds or squirrels showed up today.  No surprise.  Look at the snow on top of the feeders and on the Slinkies.



Look!  Blue sky!  The sun shone a bit today and I noticed that it sparkled off the icicles hanging from the eaves.  I couldn't get close to take a picture but you get the idea.


 

There were enough gaps in the clouds to let the sunset shine through a bit.  Not that the sun gave any warmth, but I appreciated the sunlight.


 

I knitted on the ribbing of the Warm Mulberry Beanie at Friday Night Knitting tonight.  I have to knit two more rounds and then switch to all knitting for the crown of the hat.  Mulberry is the name of the yarn color.

 

05 February--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

As I worked the last few months trying to fix up this old building and get it ready for guests, I realized that Will had been right, that Jim had always been humoring me.  Owning a place like this had been my dream.  He wanted to live someplace like Anguilla, oh he really did, but his dream leaned more toward lazing in a hammock with a cold one after having done a couple of scuba dives in the morning, than unstopping a toilet at midnight for a guest who had had one too many at a beach bar.  His support of my dreams was one of the reasons I loved him so. 

I was glad to have our children here with me helping to get things ready, showing by their presence that they too supported my dreams.  I knew that Will had only been worried about me, that a woman alone in a place he had never been would be too easily taken advantage of.  I could hear Elizabeth singing in the kitchen, the mixer whirring up yet another batch of the most delicious muffins I had ever eaten.  She swore that the recipes she was developing were easy to make and nearly foolproof and I believed her.  Elizabeth is a professional chef with a thriving business providing nutritious and delicious meals for busy families and I was honored that she had put her business on hold for two weeks to help me launch mine.  She had asked around when she was out shopping and found that there was a very small, just getting started, businesswomen’s group that I could join. 

Marie had outdone herself with my website.  It looked so professional and I was astonished that it had already drawn notice.  Now if someone would only book a stay with me, I would be totally ecstatic.


Today's toss was three pairs of long johns that are too big.  Luckily I have a couple pairs that still fit or I'd have been in a world of hurt when I was out moving snow.

The prompt today asked that you write a family argument.  I don't like arguing so I struggled but I do like the write dialogue so that's what I did.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Looking at it from down here in Florida, the snow is beautiful. But 9 degrees!! Yikes! Glad you got a bit of sunshine and that picture of the sky and icicles is so pretty. Good for you for ordering the "Bernie" mittens.