Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Arrgh!

 My camera is acting weird.  It suddenly stopped recognizing the SD card and trapped my pictures on there.  I retook a couple pictures with a different SD card in the camera and now the computer is being finicky about opening them.  Arrgh.

I'm hoping that I can find and import the picture I took of the sun going down.  We had a sunny day (the blue sky picture disappeared) and clouds rolled in in the afternoon so the sunset had possibilities.


I went over to Zambaldi to see DS.  We had a nice visit.  I got to try his new beer.  I liked it, it was malty and sweet, but I can't remember what style it is or what its name is.  And I didn't take any pictures because we just sat at the bar and talked.  So restful.



In the afternoon I finished the Happy Campfire sock.  I think that this is the fastest I have ever knitting a full length sock.  Now I have to start something to knit at Zoom knitting tomorrow night.

 

 

03 February, Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

The day was winding down when Iggy came in to tell me that my apartment was ready to be occupied.  I couldn’t believe how quickly it had happened. 

For the first few weeks it seemed as if all we did was demolish things and then over the next couple months slowly start rebuilding, first the wiring, then the plumbing, and then the walls and floors.  A lot of plywood, drywall, and PVC pipe were used up, along with more than a few pounds of nails and enough paint to cover a regular house two or three times over.  That day just before five o’clock in the afternoon a truck came from Mr. Carty’s salvage yard and picked up the dumpster and hauled it away.  That meant that I could finally get some work done sprucing up the back garden, trimming the bougainvillea and planting some flowers. 

I had hoped to buy some banana plants or put in a couple of fruit trees but everyone told me that the soil would not support that kind of growth, that it was too sandy and salty.  I was thrilled that I had one of the few palm trees in Sandy Ground growing in my yard.  It was not really the tropics to me without a palm tree. 

‘Nando Gomez came in at the end of the day looking for Marie.  He puffed out his chest when he saw her and mustered up the courage to invite her to dine with him.  Will stood behind her with his arms folded across his chest like a dubious father but Elizabeth poked him and dragged him out into the kitchen to help her with the muffins.  I slipped out of the lobby too and shooed Will off to get cleaned up.  Elizabeth and I stayed in the kitchen clattering baking pans and cookie sheets together to give Mr. Gomez a chance to make a little time, but soon enough he came back out smiling broadly and not even noticing that he walked right past us. 

“Well,” Elizabeth said, “no wonder the Customs clearances went so well today, seems your Mr. Gomez is smitten.”  I heard Marie coming down the hall and shushed her.  My usually taciturn daughter looked flushed and a bit flustered. 

“Anything wrong?” I asked. 

“Oh, no,” she said, “Nando and I are going to Blanchard’s for supper; I hope you don’t mind.” 

“Uh…no, not at all,” I said to her back as she walked right on through the kitchen and off down the road to Sydans. 

Elizabeth and I stared at each other.  “Blanchard’s?” Elizabeth said.  “Isn’t that the most expensive place on the island?” 

“No, but it’s close.  I guess our Mr. Gomez has unplumbed depths.” 


Today's toss was a grandkid jacket that won't fit anyone anymore.

 I made an executive decision and postponed my haircut tomorrow.  The weather people say that we're supposed to have freezing rain in the early morning, changing to sleet, and then snow.  I decided that I don't want to have to drive across town for a haircut in that.  I can live with shaggy hair for another week.  Oh, and we're supposed to be getting arctic cold temps on the weekend.  Yippee.

--Barbara


1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That sock looks peculiar but I assume it stretches out to fit around your ankle. Still like the name of the yarn. And your weather prediction, sounds like you'll be wearing some cozy socks for a while. Brrr!!