Tuesday, February 2, 2021

This Is The Way We Wash Our Clothes...

Don't worry, I didn't take pictures of me doing laundry today.  My laundry isn't that interesting and my laundry area is kind of a pit so you are spared a view of it.  When I threw my dirties down the chute this morning it didn't sound like they went very far so I surmised that the chute was fulling up and it was time to fire up the washer.  It wasn't bad, there were only three loads, so it wasn't too onerous of a task.  Just a non-photogenic one.


The House Finches spent some time sunbathing on the crook that holds the feeder this morning.  We had a partly sunny day, ahh, it was wonderful.  Especially since they're threatening us with snow and sleet for Thursday, when I have a haircut appointment.  Ah well, good thing I know how to drive in winter.



In between bouts of flinging around wet clothes, I knitted on the sock foot.  I got to the toe decreases just as my knitting energy flagged so I knitted a couple rounds to get the stitch markers in place and left it for tomorrow.

 

 

 

02 February, Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

The plumbing crew had finished their work the day before so at last the water was on and all the taps and toilets worked. 

Silas and Iggy were finishing up in my apartment and Luke and Stanley had almost finished painting the outside when Marie conscripted them to help her.  They warned her that they would go back to painting once the sun had passed to shine on the front of the hotel. 

“The paint, she dries too fast in the sun,” Luke said, “so we will help you until it is shady in back.” 

Marie nodded. I knew that she thought that the two young men would do whatever she asked them to for as long as she asked them to.  I didn’t have the heart to tell her that in this society, or in any society, the person with the checkbook calls the shots.  I knew that my boys Luke and Stanley would not abandon their painting responsibilities. 

She spent quite a bit of time out talking to Mr. Gomez.  I just could not call him ‘Nando like Iggy did, he was too full of his own importance to merit such a casual nickname.  But I noticed that the pace of things coming in the door and being put into place picked up dramatically after that.

 Elizabeth came back before lunch with her arms loaded with bags of fruit and baking ingredients from the IGA Market in town.  Soon after she got back, the first kitchen carton came out of the cargo container and she was in heaven to find stainless steel mixing bowls and silicone muffin pans.  She got right to work squeezing limes and dicing up mangoes and papaya for the first batches. 

I could see that I was going to have to start walking in the sand more every day to work off all the calories of Elizabeth’s experiments.  I tucked myself back into the corner of the lobby and kept working on embellishing the linens and making placemats and napkins while the young people carried load after load into the hotel.  They set up an unpacking line, like a reverse assembly line, in the upstairs hall and made short work of it. 


Today's toss was more dresses and one old pair of jeans.  I'm just not going to keep things that don't fit because I'm determined to not need bigger clothes again.  I should be smart enough to control my eating so that I stay the size I am right now or smaller.  Right?  Maybe.

The prompt today asked whether social media is good or bad.  Those prompts are sounding more and more like some weird sociology survey.  Sheesh.  I said good and bad; good for keeping up with family and friends and bad for all of the loony crap on there.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You're going to have to fire up the sewing machine and make a whole new wardrobe of dresses. I bet you have a stash of fabric somewhere just crying out to be turned into Dress #1 or 2. Glad you had some sunshine and it looks as if the birds were glad too.