Thursday, February 4, 2021

Snow Day

Well, I could have gone for my haircut after all.  It didn't start snowing until after 11 o'clock and it never freezing rained (that I saw).  Ah well, I rescheduled for next week.  I'll survive.


But when it started snowing it really snowed.  Between noon and 8 o'clock when it was mostly stopped we had gotten about 6 inches of wet, heavy snow.  If I was smart, I'd bundle up and go out to move the snow tonight because it's supposed to be much colder tomorrow.  I don't want to.  The snowplow will come by in the night and I'll have to go out to clear the plow drift anyway and besides I think it's slippery out there and... and... I don't wanna.



I started February Cast Sock #1 this afternoon and finished it before sitting down here tonight.  We had the knitting guild zoom social knit tonight and I almost got it done then.  This is the yarn that I wasn't sure I'd have enough of to finish the cast sock so I cast on 8 fewer stitches and had plenty.  Whew.



I also started another warm beanie in case I finished the cast sock during the zoom knit and was amazed when I reached into the skein of yarn and actually pulled out the end instead of a wad of yarn like usually happens

04 February--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview.

Evidently Marie’s dinner with Nando Gomez went well because the next day the pace of Customs clearance and container unloading picked up even more.  I informed Anne that I wouldn’t need my room after Marie left on Saturday and thanked her for all her help finding such excellent workmen on the island. 

I moved into the Seaview so that Silas could go home, although he complained that he was used to sleeping there and didn’t really want to go back to his tiny bedroom at his parent’s house.  I sympathized--and made him leave anyway. 

I had already gotten a few hundred hits on my website and when I checked in the morning I had two inquiries about when we would be opening.  Marie had done a lot of research, driving around the island, looking at similar accommodations to gauge what I should charge.  Evidently it was not too much because both of the people that emailed, both single women from the sound of it, were very anxious to come. 

After doing the happy dance and carrying the laptop around the place to show each and every one of them, I sat down and composed my first email as the proprietor of The Seaview Bed and Breakfast of Sandy Ground, Road Bay, Anguilla in the British West Indies. 

I couldn’t believe that I was mere days away from actually fulfilling my dream.


Today's toss was a few more dresses I made the last couple years that are now too big.

The writing prompt said to shuffle songs, write down the title of the first one that plays, and write a short story about it.  What did I get?  Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.  Don't get me wrong, I love Queen, but that was an interesting song to try to write a story about.  I managed.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Snow! I can't imagine having to blow off all that snow from your driveway. You are a brave girl. I love Bohemian Rhapsody too but can't imagine writing a story about it.