Monday, February 8, 2021

A Bird!

I haven't seen a bird or squirrel since the weather turned arctic a few days ago but this morning there was a Downy Woodpecker on the suet pellets.  It was lucky that I turned to see it and snapped a picture before it flew off.


I started the car today to make sure that it would start when I need to go for my first vaccine shot on Wednesday and realized that I'd forgotten to fill up the tank before it got so cold, so I bundled up and drove over to the Shell station.  I went there because the pumps are on the lee side of the building so it blocks the wind, which made it just bearable to stand outside while the gas pumped.  There's a Baskin Robbins there too but I didn't go in.  *pats self on the back*  It's never too cold for ice cream.



Today I took the sundown picture too early for maximum color.  I wanted to capture the setting sun framed by the trees but the orange and pink didn't come through.  Dang it.  It was pretty and colorful.  Really, it was.


 

We had knitting guild social knitting tonight so I made progress on the Mulberry Snow Day hat.  Now I'm back to where I was when I ripped out the first hat and started over.  I have to knit another inch and a half of hat and then it'll be time to start the crown decreases.

08 February--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Iggy showed up after lunch with a pile of soil in the bed of his truck and a mango tree in a huge slatted wooden pot. 

“I thought you said that fruit trees won’t grow in this sandy, salty area,” I said. 

“They won’t, that is why I have all this dirt.”  He waved his hand at the mound.  Since Luke and Stanley were helping me set the patio blocks, Iggy drafted Silas and Edward to help him dig a huge hole in the corner of the yard that got the most sun, fill it with the soil and plant the tree.  It was taller than I expected and looked very happy in its new home.  “Now you have to water it every day, Rosie, so that it settles in.” 

“I will,” I told him, “but it might be good if you check on its well-being every few days.” 

He grinned down at me.  “You can be sure that I will.” 

It was a good thing that the sun set so late in the summer because we all worked right up until it was too dark to see, but that meant that on that Thursday night the Seaview was as ready as she was going to be without any reservations on the book.


Today's toss was more dresses.  I have a lot of them.

The prompt today asked what you're scared of and why.  Didn't they just ask that last month?

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That prompt from yesterday would be an easy one. So many scary things right now. Even living down here in the Sunny South, I'm still anxious for Spring. You're going to have to get busy and sew an entire new wardrobe of dresses if you keep tossing your old ones. But I bet you've got a stash of fabric just waiting to be turned into something cute.