Tuesday, July 10, 2018

'Twas a Making Day

DD is coming for a weekend visit so I wanted to make a couple things that she likes.  She loves Olive & Nut spread (I do too) and I already had the cream cheese, pecans, mayo, and olives so I toasted the nuts and softened the cream cheese.  She also loves Pimento Cheese, or maybe just I do, anyway I went to Walmart for cheese and a jar of pimentos to make that.  Then I was surfing memories on Facebook (don't know why) and recipes for fruit and veg infused waters popped up so I grabbed some lemons, limes, and a cucumber at the store, picked some mint from the garden, took out a couple green tea bags, and got those steeping.  I'll taste them tomorrow and report.


The other day I got the Montparnasse Eco Cardi sleeve and left front soaking in wool wash so today I sent them through the spin cycle in the washer and pinned them out into shape to dry.  It's so much easier to seam up sweater parts when they're blocked, plus they fit together better.


On Friday night at Goodwill I found three more pairs of the light cotton lounge pants Durwood likes to wear and was quick to sew a strip of binding--onto the left pocket (which is the wrong pocket) instead of the right, that's the pocket he keeps his handkerchief in.  So this afternoon I sewed binding onto the right pocket so he can find the pocket when he's sitting down.  He's lost feeling in his fingertips because of a compressed disk in his neck so stiffening the edge makes it easier to feel.  It's not a fashion statement but both of us seem to be leaning more toward comfort and convenience over style in our modes of attire.



More daisies are starting to bloom and the ants seems to be leaving them alone.  I don't know what drew so many of them to that one flower but I'm glad they found something else to interest them.


 
Tonight was the caregivers support group at the ADRC and when I was driving downtown to the meeting I saw three big cranes towering over the buildings along the river so I kept going a couple blocks to find an opening where I saw this big freighter unloading something at a warehouse on the other side of the river.  This is one reason why I like living here.  Green Bay is an international shipping port so ships from all over the world come down the river in the center of the city and I get to look at them sometimes.  I feel like the ships bring the world to my little corner of Wisconsin and blaze a trail that I could potentially explore.  It's like maps.  I look at maps and see people living there and new experiences instead of lines and dots on paper.  I'm sure that there are people who'd rather that the ships didn't come right into the middle of town, wish that they'd stop out near the mouth of the river so commerce didn't interrupt their view but I like it.  I like that there's sculpture and condos and cool looking apartments along the river trail and warehouses and coal piles and ships all mixed together.  It's interesting and sometimes messy and always lively.

July 10--French, 18th Century, Louis XV Shoe.  Isaac picked up the shoe.  It was gold brocade with a big fancy buckle on the instep and a one-inch heel.  He took a closer look and thought it might be handmade.

On the line below that there's an inch long pencil squiggle that is all that I wrote in the hour between the last word up there and turning out the light.  I was tired.  Even better, I slept until 6:15 this morning even though I woke up at 4:00 to go potty.  Maybe I'm getting the hang of this sleeping thing again.  I hope so.  Fingers crossed.
--Barbara

3 comments:

rochard said...

I can't believe I've never been to GB, even though in the past we had to drive to Presque Isle a few times a year, and always meant to explore. I think our driving days are over, alas.

rochard said...

Oops, may have posted to the wrong discussion. The spreads look great, though. Another thing I always meant to make.

Aunt B said...

You'll be well fed this weekend. The photos of your snacks and juice water reminded me of how much I love pimento cheese. Love the shots of downtown GB. Proves there's more up there than the Packers!