Friday, July 13, 2018

Begin With The End

I walked into the kitchen about an hour ago and gaped at the color of the light outside so I grabbed my camera and scampered out the front door to find the sunset.  There it was hiding behind the neighbor's house but I managed to capture a bit of it before it faded.



Last night I finished the right front of the Montparnasse Eco Cardi, got it soaked, spun most of the water out, and pinned it to blocking squares to dry.






Then I got out the red Eco yarn and cast on the back.  That piece starts with a single stitch, then you cast on a few stitches at the beginning of each row until you have the number your size calls for.  Now that it's as wide as it needs to be the decreasing toward the neck begins on the next row.  Woohoo, downhill!



While DD visited with Durwood I sat and got the "even it up" anklet started and most of the cuff knitted.  I'm kind of disappointed that the gray and yellow keep meeting up as does the pink and pinkish.  I have a couple more rounds of cuff to knit and then it's on to the heel.  Another Eye of Partridge heel, I think.




Today DD is 37 years old (how can that be?) so yesterday I baked a Wacky Cocoa Cake from a recipe in an ancient Hershey's Cocoa cookbook I got, probably in the late 60s.  Anyway, you make the cake with oil, baking soda, and vinegar instead of butter and eggs.  I stirred up some powdered sugar glaze but once again put in too much milk so it ran right off the cake to pool on the cake plate.  One of these days I'll make glaze that sticks.  Today was NOT that day.

July 13--Edgar Degas, Jockeys on Horseback Before Distant Hills.  They braided themselves together like bright silk and brown hemp fibers.  The brightly clad riders on the mostly brown horses milled around on top of the rise across the valley from the small collection of buildings that were the village of St. Etienne.  Old men sat in the shade and debated which horse had better breeding, which was fastest, and which jockey had the courage and stamina to bring a winner back to the valley.

I thought Degas only painted ballerinas.  This was a nice surprise.  DD arrived this morning for a short visit.  It's great to have her here even for a couple days.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Thinking of you with your baby girl this weekend. Hope all goes well and that she has a wonderful birthday. They may be women but they'll always be baby girls to us mamas!