Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The Farmer in the Bales

The garden changes every day and looks better every day.  The "thanks for the tomato cages" strawberry (cherry) tomatoes continue to ripen.  I think they look more red than orange today.  Won't be long now and Durwood will be munching on warm from the garden tomatoes, salt shaker in hand.



 


The sweet potato vine is finally starting to vine.  It's about time.







                                             Speaking of vines, there are a lot of blossoms on the butternut squash vine.










In the flower corner of the garden, the bee balm is starting to bloom and more daisies are popping open every day.









 
 I caught this pair of Japanese beetles copulating on my new strawberry plant.  They've already managed to reduce a couple leaves to lace and something (I suspect the chipmunks) has made off with all of the unripe baby berries.  I thought of how I might wreak some havoc among the chipmunks--I stirred a bunch of gopher poison pellets into some creamy peanut butter in a plastic cup and set the cup on its side in amongst the lilies of the valley behind the birdseed cans so no little people will be able to investigate.

Oh, and I tried the fruit/veg/mint infused waters today.  Ack.  Ugh.  Ptooi.  Way too much fruit/mint/cukes for the amount of water in the quart jars.  I probably should have put 1/4 to 1/3 as much in there or used gallon jars (which I don't have).  I tossed both jars' contents down the disposal.  I might try again with a whole lot less stuff or maybe I'll just stick to sun tea which I know I like and don't have to buy any supplies for.

July 11--Ammi Phillips, Girl in Red Dress with Cat and Dog.  Clarissa held as still as she could with Mortimer the cat in her arms and Peggy the beagle licking her new shoes.  Mama wanted her to hold still so Mr. Vincent could paint her picture in her new red dress.

Once again the Sandman clonked me over the head long before I had anything coherent on the page.  I've been so sleepy lately I guess I should be glad to get any words down on the page at all.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That cascade of little tomatoes is beautiful. Everything looks good enough to eat! Too bad about the juice water. It looked delicious. Just goes to show looks can be deceiving!