Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Ahhhhh, 6:30 A.M. Is Much Better

I managed to sleep all the way until 6:30 this morning and it felt like it was nearly noon.  So silly.  As soon as I had both eyes open I zoomed over to visit the grand-chickens to see if there were any great-grand-eggs.  There were two!  I have no idea whether they were laid by Bokkers, Henita, Cluckers, or LC, Jr; I'm just glad for the eggs.  (the golf ball is there for inspiration and encouragement)  I see a fresh egg omelet in my future.


I bought Durwood a new laptop last week but there's something wrong with it.  I charged it up but it wouldn't start unless it was plugged in.  I took it back to Office Depot, the fixit guy removed and replaced the battery, and then it worked.  Huzzah!  However, after working to set things up for Durwood I turned it off and when I tried to turn it back on the same thing happened.  Methinks it's a good thing I kept all of the packing and have my receipt at hand because it'll be going back and I'll bring home a different one.  I have enough frustration in my life, I'm not letting a blue laptop get the better of me.

On my way home from Office Depot I stopped at Pick 'n Save for some chocolate ice cream (not exactly on the way home but I was running low and we can't have that).  OJ and I have been keeping our eyes on some pots of strawberry plants there.  When we first saw them they were $20--too expensive.  Last week they were $15--better but still out of the budget.  Today I was by myself and they were marked $10--affordable.  So I looked them over, chose one, and it's mine.  Now if only I can keep the birds from eating the berries before I get to.  I see some bird netting in my future.  I can fix that when I make some sort of protective cage for the bell pepper plant because I suspect that the chipmunks are gobbling up the baby peppers before they have a chance to grow.



Durwood spied this Hairy Woodpecker visiting the suet feeder today and we caught sight of a flutter of hummingbird wings on the back side of the nectar feeder.  (have to make more birdie juice tomorrow, don't forget)  The Hairy Woodpecker is a tiny bit bigger than the Downy and has a much longer and pointier beak also it looks kind of rumpled whereas the Downy looks like it just came from the groomer.


It's time to toe!  I added rows a few at a time and measured often so that my escape velocity didn't take me beyond time to start the toe decreases.  I'd have done the first decrease row and put in the little markers that help me remember what to do when and where but I was getting too sleepy and I see that it's nearly 11 o'clock already so I'd better start typing faster.


July 3--Paul Gauguin, Thatched Hut Under Palm Trees.  The rain made it sound like an army of mice was marching through the thatched roof.  Gemma ducked and cringed every time the wind gusted and pelted the house with more rain, harder rain.  She watched the ceiling darken where the water seeped through the layers and wondered whether snakes could get in where rain came through.  Her hand trembled as she tried to light the lantern and she let out a tiny shriek when a drop of rain water hit her shoulder.

I'm always relieved to see that Gauguin painted subjects other than topless native girls who look uncomfortable being scrutinized by him.  Time to sleep.  Got the dishwasher running, remembered to add my felted purse to the Fair entries (the deadline's July 15 and I didn't want to forget), and, well, it's late and time for bed.  Nighty-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay! You're back to normal -- up too late but sleeping later. Good. Those chickens would have a field day in our yard if a golf ball is their inspiration to produce an egg. We have errant drives off the Number 5 tee in our back yard quite often. In fact, LD got two out of our gutter when he was here last weekend. But when you live on a golf course, that's the price you pay.