Sunday, July 22, 2018

Lazy Sunday in July

Everybody deserves a lazy day now and again.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I didn't wake up until almost 8 o'clock this morning (halle-freakin'-lujah!) and didn't get around to doing yoga until after 11 o'clock.  This goldfinch was flitting from feeder to feeder, playing tag with another male goldfinch so I thought I'd take his picture.  Trust me, he isn't nearly this blurry in real life.

Last night for some unknown reason I went downstairs, dug out this red yarn and some needles, and cast on this Bodhi Leaf washcloth from the Mason-Dixon Knitting's Field Guild #7.  First I did my usual and went down 2 needle sizes, which is what I do whenever I knit a dish/washcloth because I'm a loose knitter, but I got about 20 rows into it and realized that what I was making looked like a Barbie washcloth so this morning I frogged last night's efforts and started over.  Getting caught up to where I'd left off is what took up my morning.  Who cares?  It's Sunday.



After lunch I cooked up an ear of Sunny Hill Farms sweet corn and took it, along with salt and butter, over to Durwood.  He claimed to still be full from lunch (which is the main daily meal there) but somehow managed to make the corn disappear.  I promised that next time I'd wait a couple more hours so he could spoil his supper with an ear of corn rather than feel overstuffed after lunch.  He said that many staff members are entertained by the phalanx of birdfeeders that I set up for him and a hummingbird visited yesterday so he's loving it too.


Once I got home I took myself downstairs and got the next garment in the queue started.  It's a Tunic no. 1 with a redrawn neckline out of some linen-like upholstery fabric.  I'll get the neck binding on and the hems sewn tomorrow.

July 22--Pieter Bruegel the Elder, The Wedding Dance.  By nine o'clock every wedding dance has devolved into a sweaty, liquor-soaked scrum.  The well-dressed, well-mannered guests of the afternoon church ceremony have checked their inhibitions at the door and made their way to the bar, thus the downward spiral of behavior begins.  Bridesmaids are barefoot, their mascara streaked down their faces as they dance in a circle in the center of the dance floor.

I was invited to visit a friend who lives in a place with an indoor pool after supper.  We had the pool all to ourselves so she taught me a bit of tai chi in the water.  It was so relaxing, I kind of feel like an overcooked noodle.  I think I'll turn in.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Nothing wrong with a lazy day every now and then. With all the other stuff you do, you need a day off at least once a week. And what better day than Sunday. Didn't that used to always be called the day of rest?