Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fresh Cherries

I got a call from T & BD this morning saying that they were in Door County picking sweet Bing cherries and did I want some.  They said that the trees were so full that they could stand in one place and pick a pail full barely moving their feet.  I said I'd like a few.  Well, they come with a huge bag of cherries and since they aren't pie cherries I didn't think I'd be able to eat them all before they went bad so they left me a bowlful.  I think Durwood and I can make these beauties disappear.


DD and I were sitting at the table this morning when I glanced out to see a hummingbird at the nectar feeder.  Do you think I could get the camera up and running in time?  Of course not, but she saw it too so it counts.



I picked the first two strawberry tomatoes this morning and DD took them to Durwood.  He always gets the first few tomatoes all to himself.  Later on when the harvest is bigger I'll lay claim to a few of them but he loves them so he gets the first ones and doesn't have to share.




In the afternoon I knitted the heel flap of the pink & gray anklet and turned the heel so the next thing to be done is pick up the gusset stitches and then start decreasing down to the stitches needed for the foot.  I also worked a couple rows on the back of the Montparnasse cardi but it doesn't look all that different so you're spared a photo.

DS, DIL1, LC and OJ took DD and I out for lunch today.  We went to Kroll's which is a local favorite for juicy hamburgers topped with a pat of butter and served on a hard roll.  We all ordered battered and deep fried cheese curds too.  Nothing like a bit of fat, cheese, and fat for lunch.  Mm, I can feel my arteries hardening even as we speak.  I do believe I will try to hover over the scale come Monday morning weigh in time.  Or maybe I'll just draw a line through the past couple weeks and ease my way back on track once I get used to my new lifestyle.

July 14--Maya Civilization, Bonampak Site, Mexico, Dressing Ceremony of High Priest.  He started naked, his brown skin shiny with scented oils.  One by one attendants brought the trappings of his position, his ceremonial robes.  As they lowered the feather mantle to his shoulders he thought of all the birds that gave their lives to make it.  "Oh, Great Mother," he said, beginning the ritual, "we are grateful for your generosity..."

Once again that's as far as I got before sleep overtook me.  DD goes home tomorrow, too soon, but I'm so glad that she came.  I needed to see her and she needed to see both me and Durwood.  Tough times all around.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Shades of red today. The cherries, tomatoes and pink-ish anklet. So glad you had the time with the kids. They help just by being there.