Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Day of the Lilies

 




I had to smile this morning when I went out to plug in the fountain and saw that another of the closeout lilies I bought last fall had bloomed.  Isn't it pretty?  White with pinkish lavender like watercolor on the petals.  The yellow and burgundy ones are still blooming as are the plain lemon yellow ones.  I'm always sorry when lily blooming season is over.  I should do some googling to find lilies that bloom all season, find a list of varieties that as soon as one quits another starts.  I'd like that.










I spent most of today getting things ready for Durwood's big move on Wednesday.  DS will come over to help move the heavy or bulky things tomorrow evening so today I washed all the wood furniture with Murphy's Oil Soap, then ransomed an old lamp of Mother Malcolm's and a carton of plastic Gillette shelving that will work for the bathroom from the storage locker, then on to Goodwill for Corelle dishes, coffee mugs and cutlery, and finally to Walmart for a TV and a landline phone.  I'm tired.  Tomorrow I'll work on organizing the things I'll need help hauling over and setting up, then spend Tuesday sewing slipcovers for the $1.49 chairs.  Seen in the harsh daylight the upholstery needs help but since they're motel chairs I can't remove the seats and backs to reupholster them (the screws were countersunk and then dowels were glued over them; I'm not drilling out the dowels) so slipcovers it is.


  
I was all cocked and primed to pick the ripe Early Girl tomato, toast up a slice of Rosen's Rye bread, grab the jar of mayo, and take it all to Durwood for him to enjoy but when I walked into the garden to get the ripe tomato I saw that a $#@%& chipmunk had knocked it down and eaten half of it, the rat.  Good thing more tomatoes are starting to turn.





This shy Downy Woodpecker came over for a snack but sneaked up on it.  First it landed on the tall crook  that the hummingbird feeder hangs from, then it hopped down to the short one that a wind chime hangs on, and finally fluttered up to the back side of the suet feeder.



After supper I went out to knit with a couple friends and made some progress on the sock.  A sock foot is the perfect sitting and chatting knitting since it's mindless around and around and around, no counting of rows or stitches just tedious sameness until there's 7 1/2" of foot.


July 29--John Singer Sargent, Spirito Santo, Zattere (Venice, Zattere)  The constant quiet lapping of the water on the stones was like white noise most of the time but at other times it was like a dripping faucet.  On windy days the water made a sound like footsteps that sent Julie checking the hall and checking the door locks.  It made her jumpy.  It made her feel like she was reacting to phantoms so when someone did come, someone up to no good, she didn't react and her life was forever changed.

It's late.  I'm tired.  I'm outta here.
--Barbara

No comments: