Sunday, July 8, 2018

5 O'Clock Is Better Than 4 O'Clock...

... especially when you manage to fling yourself into bed by 10 o'clock.  It's not a perfect night's sleep but it's getting there.  One of these days I'll have this sleeping thing figured out again.  Stupid hubris.

Yesterday morning I met DS, LC, and OJ at the Farmer's Market.  We roamed up and down the street looking at all the beautiful veggies, fruits, and other tempting things offered.  I was lured to a table with Sensitive plants and had to buy one--for only $2.50.  Have you ever seen one?  If you pinch the leaves they fold up and if you tap a branch they flop down.  I've had one on and off for years--mostly off, but it was irresistible for the price and the entertainment value and this morning there's a flower.  Totally worth the price.  (Sensitive plants were roadside weeds in Penang, Malaysia when we were there about 35 years ago [that long ago???] and I remember how entertained we were when we drove by and all of them would fold up and flop from the wind of our passing.)  I also bought some shiitake mushrooms which I've never tasted, a cucumber, two tomatoes from the "hurry up and eat these" bin, and a kohlrabi.  Then we stopped at a Hispanic lady's stall for a fresh sugar doughnut for LC and me to split and 2 tamales -one spicy and one not--for DS and OJ.  That little dickens eats a whole one all by himself.  He's a growing boy.  I plan to insert myself into DS's Saturday farmer's market trip more often.  Plus there's free 8 AM yoga down there.  Guess I'll go earlier next week and take my mat...

 
I decided this morning that today was the day I'd unplug and load the ancient computers and printers that are in the living room to take to recycling tomorrow.  I got them all disconnected and was sorting through the cords when I realized that the cable/internet/phone modem wasn't lit.  Oops.  So I tracked back the power cord, plugged it in and got one blue light.  Hmm,  that meant no phone but none of the phone-type connector cords hanging from it fit in the phone jack in the wall.  Back to the van for one of the computers, plugged the phone cord into the wall jack and the computer jack, then found a place on the back of the computer for the modem jack.  Eureka!  Phone/cable/internet restored.  Tomorrow I call the cable company to find out what cord I need to go from the modem to the wall jack so I can recycle the old computer.  Next the desk goes and the little walnut writing desk with matching chair that Grandpa Stephan built comes back from storage to fill the space--with more style and less bulk. 


The only other things I did today were go to the dive shop to see if I couldn't fix a pair of headphones but had no luck, then came home to start sewing one of the shirts I cut out last month.  I was going to take its picture to show you but all that's left to do is the neck binding and the hems so I'll wait to show it to you when it's done.
 
I have been knitting steadily, a few rows a day, on the Montparnasse Eco Cardi right front.  I know I've said this a dozen times but I do love a sweater piece that decreases as I go rather than increases.

Didn't write the prompt last night either.  I was so tired I could barely get myself into bed.  I'm hoping to do better tonight.  Maybe I'll sleep past daybreak tomorrow too.  At least that's my hope.  Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm so glad to read that you have that desk that daddy made. I always loved those and hated it when mother gave away the one she had at the nursing home. You tackled quite a job to undo that whole computer corner but glad you figured out the wires. There's a nest of them beneath where I'm sitting right now and I hate it. But gotta stay connected!! Love that plant you bought. Never heard of that one.