Saturday, July 21, 2018

Hello, Fred


 


I stopped in every post office in Green Bay over the last month and every single one of them was sold out of the Mister Rogers stamps.  Last week I looked on usps.com to double check what denomination stamp needs to go on a postcard and noticed the "shop" option so I clicked it.  There Fred was in all his cardigan glory so I ordered a sheet.  Since I was there I took a look around and found a sheet of bioluminescent sea life.  Got that too.  And next month there are dragon stamps being issued.  I pre-ordered those.  I like stamps.  I don't collect stamps but I like the pictures on them and consider which one to put on things I send, trying to match the stamp to the recipient.  It's probably seriously goofy of me to do it but I like it and I like the pictures on stamps.  I figure it's a harmless thing.







  
 
This morning a guy came with a hand auger, a wheelbarrow full of gravel, and a long coil of corrugated pipe that was pierced.  He was here to auger out the window wells on the rental side all the way down to the drain tile BY HAND, then insert the pierced pipe, and fill it with gravel so when it rains the water drains down that gravel filled pipe instead of leaking into the basement next door.  it only took him a couple hours to do two wells but it was extra-sweaty and super dirty work.  He earned every penny of what I paid him.





 
In the afternoon I went downstairs to do Durwood's laundry and while I was down there I sewed up the last Shirt no. 1 that I cut out last month.  The fabric is some cotton pique that's been in the stash for at least 4 years and, lo and behold, the front and the back of this shirt match.  I don't know, I may be establishing a dangerous precedent with that but I'll risk it.  If it's as crummy tomorrow as today was I suspect I'll get a Tunic no. 1 (the next project in the pile) sewn up.  Or maybe I'll just loll around on the couch knitting and napping.




I picked up a package of kabobs in the "reduced for quick sale" meat case at Pick 'n Save today and grilled them in between rain showers.  I kind of overcooked the meat in my zeal to make sure the onions and peppers were cooked but figure I can make a bit of au jus to moisten them up.  I'm having a hard time getting back into the habit of cooking decent meals but I'm not giving up, not just yet.


And Sunny Hill sweet corn is now available on a wagon near me.  I nabbed a few ears and had one with my supper tonight.  Mm, Sunny Hill corn is the best.  I'm trying to figure out a way to take an ear all cooked and ready to devour over to Durwood tomorrow.  I'm thinking wrapping it in foil and then rolling it into a towel to keep it hot on the short drive to the home.

I didn't write the prompt last night.  By the time I got home from knitting I was so beat I just went to bed.  I do have this lonely little Black-eyed Susan to show you though and I promise to try writing the prompt tonight.  Cross my heart.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Great idea to order stamps on line. I love them too and have samples of Christmas stamps going back to 1995 - plus a few others tossed into the box just because they're pretty. Even the ones honoring Elvis! Glad we had a phone chat yesterday. Know you're very busy but you sound strong. Love you.