Monday, July 9, 2018

Well, Lookee Here

My writer friend, Lala, stopped this morning on her way back to Milwaukee from visiting her mom Up Nort' and look at what we found when I showed her my garden.  Some of the "thanks for the tomato cages" tomatoes are starting to turn red.  I can't decide whether to tell/show Durwood or just wait until they're ready and surprise him with them.  It won't be long now.


I finished the map & suiting Shirt no. 1 this afternoon.  This neck opening is a bit big too so I'll have to do a little redrawing on the pattern for next time.  Maybe I'll just sew an extra inch on each side tomorrow... I should probably pin it first before sewing.  Yeah, that's a good idea.  I like it, though.  The map fabric is meant to be lining and the back is gray polyester suiting.  Sewing from stash can be interesting.



 
For supper tonight I sliced up the shiitake mushroom caps from Saturday's farmer's market, sauteed them with some diced onion, then I cut up the last half of the giant, Dolly Parton-esque chicken breast I baked last week (it was over a pound, that's one big breast), and warmed it all together while the carrots steamed.  Yum.  Although it struck me as rather cruel to eat cooked chicken off a plate with a chicken pattern on it.  Ah well, I've always known that I have a strong streak of Philistine in me...


On Sunday LC and I tried to make pinwheel cookies with a roll of sugar cookie dough from the dairy case.  We tinted half of it purple which was a lot of fun to mix and watch the colors blend, then we rolled and patted the two parts, laid one on top of the other, rolled it up, rolled the roll in sprinkles, then wrapped the too warm dough in freezer paper and put it into the freezer to firm up while we had lunch.  I sliced the dough and baked it.  We agreed that some of them looked kind of pinwheel-like but they tasted pretty good so we counted it a success.  The crunchy edges are especially tasty.


July 9--Erastus Salisbury Field, The Garden of Eden.  It was the birds that woke them.  High in the trees above the cottage a trio of macaws squabbled and screeched.  Adam groaned and threw his forearm up over his eyes.  "Why can't doves live there?" he said. "Doves coo, they're soothing."  Eve rolled toward him in the gray dawn light and laid her head on his shoulder.  "How about I make us some waffles?" she said.  "Fry up a macaw or two and you've got a deal," said Adam.  She snorted, patted his chest, and rolled out of bed.  "Sorry, no fried macaw today.  I'll fry up some sliced apples with sugar and cinnamon instead.  You like apples."  She headed to the kitchen and the birds' squawking seemed to fill the room.

Hahaha, apples for Adam's waffles.  Ironic, don't you think?  No fried macaw today.  Sorry, dude.  Man, it's hot and humid again.  I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a way to bribe Mother Nature to slip a little cooler and drier in one of these days.  DD's coming for the weekend on Friday and I'm hoping it'll cool off a bit for her.  Fingers crossed.  My pee pee alarm woke me at 4:30 again today.  That's getting real old.  I'm about ready to hit the hay.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That is a very colorful plate of food and then pinwheel cookies for dessert. Couldn't be anything but delicious. Won't be long before you'll have fresh tomatoes right off the vine! Nothing better than that.