Tuesday, July 17, 2018

My Calves Ache

Aqua fitness was fun last night but the pool water was ice cold, colder than Lake Michigan according to KW, but once we started jumping around it was bearable.  There were probably 40 of us in the pool.  The instructor was in the pool too so all the splashing of water and chat of the surrounding people made it hard to know what to do but we swung our arms and flung our legs this way and that and by the time a half hour had passed KW and I waded out.  I could tell my calves weren't going to be happy and, boy howdy, I was right.  Crawling out of bed this morning was a treat but I did my daily yoga and stretched out those complaining muscles and feel fine now.  Next week will be better.




On my way home from the pool I passed our pitiful raspberry canes and found this lone ripe one that I picked to take to Durwood today.





I'm sure by now you've gotten the hint that I had to move Durwood into a nursing home ("Baba lives at the nurse house," says OJ) at the beginning of the month.  His needs have surpassed my ability to take care of him and keep him safe.  Sad but true.  DD noticed that there's a birdfeeder outside his window so I took some seed with me on Sunday and within 15 minutes we'd attracted this squirrel.  It didn't eat all the seed so, so far so good, and I dug out another hummingbird feeder to take the next time I go, along with a spare crook.  It's a nice place, barely a mile from home, and I'm in charge of doing his laundry and making sure that his little bottles of gin stay filled.  His doc wrote him an Rx for a daily martini and they're very good about delivering it around 4 PM along with a small glass of ice--and his pills.  I'm slowly getting used to my new normal.



Speaking of hummingbirds look what sat long enough for a photo this morning.  Gotcha.







This afternoon while doing laundry I sewed.  I'm calling this the Two Brown Linens Shirt no. 1 from 100 Acts of Sewing.  One of these days I'll find a length of fabric in the stash big enough to make the front and the back the same.  Or maybe I'll decide to lay two different fabrics on top of one another and have them be side by side instead of front and back...  Hmm.





Last night as I closed the shades I glanced at the sky and saw the crescent moon so even though I was staggering I was so tired I grabbed the camera and went out to take its picture.  You'd think my zodiac sign was Cancer, aka Moon Child, instead of Virgo, which I suspect means persnickety or pain in the arse.




I didn't write the prompt last night.  I fell asleep in the couch before 9 o'clock and as soon as I'd taken the moon picture I lay down and that was that.  Maybe tonight I'll manage to pick up my pencil.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

It sounds like you're coming around to a new normal. Glad you found the bird feeder for D to keep an eye on. And his 4 PM "medicine" should help as well. You're brave to plunge into the icy water. Good for you.

Sharon said...

The pool water was colder than Lake Michigan? Well, it still sounds like fun. Thinking about you and wish I was there to give you hug.