Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!

I hope the bunny came to your house, I was a slacker this year.  Didn't make a basket for anyone and didn't get the booties for LC finished because they're just not turning out the way I'd hoped.  (Don't you hate that?) She's little, she doesn't know that her Grandma's a slacker.  I'll do better next year.  Cross my heart.

I made soup yesterday, Lentil Soup with Ham and Kale.  Of course I forgot to take its picture before I ladled it out into bowls and put it into the fridge for taking to work.  And I made a pecan pie and a coconut macaroon pie too.  Think I took their pictures?  Of course I didn't.  But they'll taste great, that I do know.

I need a tonic, a pepper-upper.  To quote Aunt B, I have the bots.  I think it's a form of the blahs or the gray sickness, whatever it is I'd like it to go away, please.  Right now.  I'm wearing red shoes and a red sweater today, maybe that'll help.
 
I was happy to see that some of the daffodils are blooming with more to come.  A bunny visited the spilled birdseed this morning, but I don't think it's the real Easter Bunny.  And Mr. Downy Woodpecker came for a suet snack.  See the red on the back of his head?  Girl woodpeckers don't have that.  (and that's the end of the bird I.D. lesson for today)

April 20--Michele da Verona, Madonna and Child with Saints Roch and Sebastian.  

Homemade soup
means taking very good care
of the ones you love.
Sauteed onions and carrots
meld with lentils and broth,
a bay leaf, garlic,
and just enough red pepper flakes
to bring it to life.
Ham for depth of flavor,
kale for greens.
It looks like lunch
but it's really a bowl of love.
~~~~~

It's almost time to saddle up and head out for lunch with family.  I hope it's ham but will be happy with whatever there is.  It's the people I want to spend time with.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Hope you had a wonderful Easter. It rained here all weekend long!! But it didn't stop the men on their boat work. Auto-pilot installed. Yay for Bo and Paul. Didn't stop Margaret and me either. Shopping -- buying (!!) -- everyone happy!