Thursday, August 3, 2023

It Was a Hot One

It was hot again today. Humid too. There was a breeze but that was hot too. Of course it IS August so I have to expect summer-like temps. Thank goodness for air conditioning.


This morning the juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk was on the birdbath again. Dipping its feet and underside in the water again. It soaked up enough water that I had to go out later and refill the birdbath so there'd be water for the rest of the birds. Then after supper I got a text from my tenant saying that there were two Hawks on the fence. I hurried out to the kitchen and there they were. One of them was eating something and it stayed for a while but the other one flew off almost as soon as I saw it. I'm just glad that they're back. I just love looking at them, especially their eyes.



While the Hawk was in the birdbath the chipmunk came sneaking between the birdseed cans on the patio. I don't know what it was thinking but the Hawk did notice. Maybe what it was eating tonight was that little rodent it saw on my patio earlier. I caught sight of it up on the patio step after the birdbath Hawk was gone and snapped its picture.


Dad's rose is still blooming and there are three more buds surrounding the last flower. Still no Japanese Beetles. I check every day. If I see them I'll rescue the buds and bring them in to open so they don't get chomped.



First I got out the Chibi book and drew a Lion and a Monkey. I like the happy look on the Lion's face and I like the Monkey's banana.


Then I turned to the next page in Draw 500 Fabulous Flowers and found this big flower. It kind of looks like an opening zinnia or chrysanthemum but then I think it might look like a protea. It's a flower, 'nuf said.


I got a call this afternoon from Harry, my book publishing account manager (sounds pretty cool, doesn't it?), looking for ideas for the book's cover, my bio and photo, and a blurb. I sent cover ideas, the bio and photo, but writing the blurb will take time. I got a first draft done and am marginally happy with it. I'll keep working on it. He also asked why I hadn't published on IngramSpark and another self-publisher. I told him that I didn't know how and he said they'd help me with that. Interesting. Seems like I'll be getting quite a bit of help for my money. I thought I'd get another chapter to review but I didn't. He said next week. There's a lot of chapters in 85k words so I hope they don't dilly dally.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Hot down here too. I ordered a battery-operated fan for Paul to attach to the golf cart when he's out playing. That should help keep him somewhat cool out there for four hours. Don't want him giving up the game.