Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Tuesday Turned Out to be Lawn Mowing Day

I tried to put lawn mowing off but then I looked at the temperature predictions for the next couple days and immediately changed into shorts, a tank top, and my mowing shoes and got to work. It's supposed to be humid and in the mid-80s the next few days. Not optimum mowing weather. Today it was 75 with low humidity. I waited until after supper so that the backyard and most of the side yard were in the shade so I didn't get too hot.

I was going to entitle this blog entry "Arrgh!" because there were three interesting birds at the feeders this morning and each of them flew away as soon as I reached for the camera. The best one was a Flicker which is a kind of ground feeding woodpecker that I've never seen on the feeder before. It was standing on top of the platform feeder and took off with a flock of skittish Sparrows as soon as I touched the camera. Then a Goldfinch couple visited for a minute. He landed on the suet pellets and again flew away before I could take a picture. Then a Downy Woodpecker came to the suet cakes and posed really nicely hanging from the bottom of the feeder. Did it stick around long enough? No-o-o-o-o-o. Like I said, arrgh!


There are a few orange day lilies still blooming but they're getting scarce. Here's one of the last of them.



Tubes was today's lesson in You Can Draw In 30 Seconds! It was fun to draw the pretzel tube with the really long guy poking out each end. Or is it two guys? I don't know but it was fun.


But the most fun was the tube cities I drew. I confess that I used a ruler to make the tubes, it just seemed logical.



I dragged out the watercolors after lunch and painted the red salvia in pots on the patio. I like the way it turned out. For once things went the way I imagined they would.


When I was done painting I cued up my audiobook and sat down to finish knitting the heel of the Villasol Sock. Now I just knit around and around until I get to the toe when more fun happens. I also ordered more sock yarn (which I don't need). It's called Zauberball Crazy and I love the bright and crazy colors. I'll show you when it arrives.


Today's toss was my mowing shoes. I realized that they were broken down so that I had no foot support on the backyard slope so I dug out a new pair of sneakers and demoted my old ones to mowing duty.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Laundry Day - Mowing Day -- you're getting stuff done this week. But glad you still have time to draw and paint. I love the salvia and the tube guy(s) -- too cute.