Thursday, December 13, 2018

Some Better

Sorry I dropped out yesterday.  I spent the morning tossing a case of some ancient, unidentifiable photo accessory and a light bar, then I met ACJ at noon to write for a couple hours.  I managed to eke out another 750 words of Chapter 40 which is turning out to be an important, wrapping up kind of chapter.  I think.


Then I spent some time in the dentist's office getting my partial adjusted--and adjusted--and adjusted--tweaked a little-- tweaked again--and adjusted.  It fits some better but isn't right.  I told him that I'll wear it this weekend and come in on Monday for further tweaks.  At least I feel like I'm communicating what isn't right and how I suspect it needs to be changed.  He seemed less defensive yesterday and more willing to monkey around with it than he was on Monday.  Thank god.

After supper I had a sleepover date with my favorite people.  The grownups had a very early banking appointment today so someone had to be on hand to snuggle the early risers.  Meemaw will do it.  So I was away from my laptop at blogging time last night.  I guess I could have taken it along but to be honest I just didn't want to.

Once the family was off to daycare, school, and jobs I came home, changed into leggings and a t-shirt and went to the Y to walk for about 25 minutes and then I tried out one of the recumbent steppers.  Oh, I liked that.  I got lots of muscles working but didn't pound my ankle in the process.   Tomorrow I'm planning to go to try the chair yoga class and I've already called my friend who lives down the street from the Y to come with me into the pool one day this weekend.  She needs to swim in the cooler water for her muscle health and I figure I'll get a lot more resistance from the water which will also give my ankle a break.  I'm determined to get fitter for Yellowstone in August.

One of my knitter friends took me out to lunch today to thank me for driving her to and from carpal tunnel surgery a couple months ago.  I ate the most delicious 6-cheese mac & cheese topped with bacon and served with a slice of toasted garlic bread.  Be still my heart!  Really good and really really bad for my waistline.  See why I'm going to the Y?  Plus she had coupons for a free appetizer with an entree so I have chicken quesadilla with guac and salsa for tomorrow and probably Saturday too.  Thanks, HH!

I've been knitting on the last critter hat.  Got about 10 rounds of hat to go before the crown decreases.  That's the last of the Christmas knitting.

No prompt writing to share but I'll toss on a bit of Chapter 40 just to whet your whistle.




13 December--The Seaview, Chapter 40. 

                Will and Silas came up the road carrying one of Johnno's big grills made from a barrel cut in half.  I was glad to hear them banter and tease like they'd known each other for years.
                "Mom," Will called, "when are you planning to serve so we know when to start the grill?"
                I looked at the clock, it was nearly five o'clock.  "I'm thinking everyone will get here around seven so you can either light it now and grill everything ahead and let it stay warm in the oven or light it at seven and grill while everyone's here."
                "She does this all the time," Will said, "and it drives me nuts."
                I imagined Silas nodding when he said, "My mother does the same.  You can not win no matter what you choose."
                "I heard that, you two," I said.  "Light the grill now so no one has to stand there once the party starts.  Okay?"
                Two voices answered, "Okay," then they both laughed. 

It's tiring wrangling an almost-5-year-old and her 2 1/2-year-old brother in Barnes & Noble then taking them home for supper and bedtime.  I'm out of practice.  It's a good tired, though.  Oh, today's toss was what I hope is the last box of ancient, unidentified darkroom paraphernalia.  All that's left is the enlarger and the contact printer and I'm not sure I can haul either one upstairs and out into the car.  They may have to wait until January when I can call in some muscle that isn't busy driving around in a brown delivery truck.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Thanks for the preview of your novel. I've always thought dialogue would be the hardest part of writing but you've got that down pat. I can almost hear that banter between the characters. So great that you can help out with the grandkids -- even though it's tiring. Know the big kids appreciate it. All your lunch dishes sound wonderful. Good you've got your "getting in shape" routine going so you can indulge every once in a while.

rochard said...

Goodness, is that baby 2 1/2 already?