Sunday, December 9, 2018

Distraction

I had every intention of doing absolutely nothing today.  But we all know that I'm not very good at that.  I learned an old lesson around noon which is--when the temperature is below 32 degrees F, if you go out to fill bird feeders right after you take a shower, your hair freezes.  It thaws out really fast when you come back indoors but it totally freezes.  Feels like it's super gelled.  I did get a photo of the flyover before the football game though, which is the main reason I went out there at that time.


Then I hauled up today's box which turned out to be papers and notebooks from 1961, including a pack of letters, boring college-days letters from Durwood's ex.  I read one, yawn, and tossed the lot into the recycling.  Anything not paper is in the trash.  I have no clue why he kept all that random, useless stuff.  It's gone now, or it will be on Wednesday when the garbage guys take it away.



I spent a lot of this week feeling sad and missing Durwood.  Tuesday would have been our 42nd anniversary and I've been dreaming about him and hearing his voice the last few days more than I have since he died.  Sitting around this afternoon was the worst thing for making it through the sad so I hauled myself down to the sewing machine and in 3 hours had another flannel Dress no. 2 all sewed up and ready to wear.  This one has feathers on it, printed on it, not real feathers.  Sheesh.  I have one more Dress no. 2 (with sleeves) and one Dress no. 1 (no sleeves), both flannel, cut out and ready to be sewn up.  I'll get them done this week.  


Just now I got an email from our diving friends K&DM.  They're in Bonaire for the month and asked to take something of Durwood's to leave there.  I gave them a prayer card that I tore into a lot of tiny pieces (so it would biodegrade quickly) and today they took it to one of our favorite reefs.  They sent an email about the dive and included pictures.  My heart is full to have such wonderful friends.


9 December--R & S Garrard and Co., The Poltimore Tiara.  The stones sparkled like tears in sunshine.  Diamonds drew the light into flowers and flourishes picked out in gold.  Marie wore the tiara the way any other woman wore a bandana.  She didn't care or didn't know that the decoration in her hair was worth more than most people's houses.

And that's all she wrote.  All I wrote.  Whatever.  Not inspired by diamonds, I guess.  Time to call it a day.
-Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Great picture of the flyover. And I love your friends. That picture of the dive had to mean a lot to you. Beyond thoughtful. Even if it makes you a little sad, I'm glad you get to see D in your dreams. Always in your heart. XXXXX