Wednesday, December 5, 2018

An Unremarkable Day

That was my today.  I got a haircut this morning, visited the dentist to complain about my jaw aching and waking me up in the night (he said it aches because the temporary crown's shorter than it should be so my jaw is slightly out of whack until next Tuesday when the permanent crown's installed and I get my partial back; I miss my teeth), and went to the community supper at DS & DIL1's church.  They have it once a month and DIL is in charge so I'm always confident that the food will be wonderful.  Tonight's was ham, baked beans, those creamy, cheesy potato cubes topped with cornflakes and baked (I could have eaten the pan of those, I contented myself with a single serving *pats self on back*), corn, and a spread of desserts.  I only had a brownie and a small cookie, not one of everything which I could have easily had.


The birdies were busy today.  The Bluejay trio played round robin on the peanut wreath.  One would fly in squawking, wriggle out a nut, and fly off to be replaced by the second who'd repeat the act and then make way for the third, by which time the first one would be back in rotation.  That went on for at least half an hour.





This House Finch had a leisurely nosh on safflower seeds on the platform feeder unruffled by the darting visits of a string of chickadees.  Those little chickadees come swooping in, grab a seed, and fly away in one swift motion.  They're almost impossible to catch on film.



 


Mr. Downy Woodpecker found the suet pellets in the cage feeder back on the retaining wall and really confused a sparrow that came in to land only to find the feeder was occupied.


 

After supper I added a few rows to the latest critter hat for a grandkid for Christmas.  This one's 72 stitches and I think it'll fit so I'm definitely not ripping this attempt out.  Not.




Today's toss was an ancient, sawdust covered, stuffed with random crap left over from Durwood's traveling salesman days on the road, Samsonite suitcase.  I dumped the contents into a garbage bag, put the paper into recycling, and shoved the suitcase into the garbage can.  I might take it out, though, and haul it up the hill in back and stick it into one of the dumpsters up there because it takes up a lot of room.  It's too filthy and too mildew-smelly to donate.


Oh, before I went for my haircut I hung the jingle bell wreaths on the front and back doors and put the gold foil holly garland and plastic glitter seashell ornaments on the dinette light.  Now I think I'm really done with the holiday decorating.

Didn't write the prompt last night.  I'll do better tonight.  I might not blog tomorrow night, I'm going with a friend to her family's cottage for a short escape.  We both need it.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You've earned a night off from blogging so I'm glad you'll have a little escape from the everyday. Watched George H.W. Bush's funeral pretty much all day yesterday. So moving and so impressive to see how our country can come together if only for a day. The precision of the military and all the details so perfectly executed -- and then W's wonderful eulogy. Always loved that family.