Sunday, December 16, 2018

D'you Want Fries With That?

And the answer is yes, regular and curly.  I found a pattern for knitted straight fries so I cranked out four of them today.  I made one more curly fry and will make a couple more.  They're a lot more labor-intensive also harder on my fingers and wrist so I'll take a break and make one tomorrow.


I got a text from my friend KW saying that she was having a bit of a freak out and could we go to the YMCA pool sooner rather than later?  Since I was sliding into the slough of despond myself I texted that I'd meet her there in 20 minutes, got into my suit, grabbed a towel,  put it and some Crocs into a backpack, and drove off.  We walked in the pool for about 20 minutes and then when she went to swim a couple laps and bake herself in the sauna, I went to the fitness center and used that stepper machine while I listened to a 25 minute podcast.  Then we went to her apartment a couple blocks away and knitted while watching an old black and white movie from 1947, It Happened on 5th Avenue.  It was so innocent and Hollywood-cute but fun, and a very young Alan Hale who played the Skipper on Gilligan's Island was in it.



Today's toss is a donate.  I hauled up a box marked "Knick-knacks Living Room" in DD's handwriting which meant that the box hadn't been opened since the summer of 2003 which is when we moved here.  I unwrapped all of the contents, decided that I'd keep the carved cowboy that DS made in the early 1990s and the glass power pole thing (oh, why can't I remember the name?  insulator?) and the rest will go to Goodwill.  Or at least it'll ride around in the back of my car until I have enough to make a trip worthwhile.


16 December--Dirck van Baburen, The Concert.  They were having a fine time.  The concert was finished, the pressure was off, and the musicians felt lighter than air.  The mandolin was the first to riff on a chord, twisting it, bending it, wringing every bit of juice out of the notes.  Just as the strings eased off the sound, the violinist (or maybe it was the violist) rent the reverberations with a high sweet sigh of sound that made the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.  The cellist joined in as did the flute and soon music poured out of the night like the sweetest honey.

Well, that was nice.  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to try another chair yoga session or stick with walking and go in the afternoon when there's someone there to show me the other machines.  Although I really do like that recumbent stepper.  What I really should do is see a physical therapist about my left ankle.  After all of the flexing and walking and yoga over the last 2 1/2 years and that ankle still complains if I do more than sit around on my duff.  Can't do that, gotta move, and one of these days it'll snow and I'll want to go snowshoeing.  Stupid frozen rug.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, that glass thing is an insulator -- and they're collectible!! I hate it that your ankle is still giving you pain after all this time. No fair! But the time at the Y is bound to be good for your entire body. You'll definitely be fit as a fiddle when you head out West next summer.