Tuesday, December 11, 2018

I Am Heartily Sorry...

... for letting that dentist talk me into letting him monkey around with my teeth.  Replace the filling, okay, but drill out and crown that back tooth?  Nope, big mistake.  Now my partial doesn't fit, feels like it's barely in place and it scrapes the inside of my lip.  I have another appointment tomorrow afternoon.  I will get this fixed--and then find a new dentist.  Not a happy customer.  They had the gall to send a text asking me to give them a 5 star review.  I don't think so.  I'll be polite until he makes it right, though, I'm not a fool.

Today's birds are juncos.  These little darlings are the ones that migrate here from the Arctic because it's so warm in Wisconsin in the winter.  Not.  I noticed the other day that when they fly away the edge feathers on their tails are white with black ones in the center.  Kind of a reverse skunk look.  I like 'em and the hawk loves 'em.


The FedEx truck stopped, knocked on the door, and left this big turquoise box on the porch.  It's the Proctor & Gamble Retiree Christmas box and it's full of goodies.  On top is a box of chocolate covered almonds.  The next level is a Pyrex 9x13 baking dish with lid and padded carrier.  And the bottom level is divided into four sections with Tide Pods, Crest toothpaste, Pantene shampoo, Dawn dish soap, Puffs, some Gillette razors, and a car clip Glade Plug-ins.  All very nice, most of it very smelly.  I admit that now that no one in the house has a breathing problem I can use scented stuff, even burn scented candles, but I'm kind of used to not having it.  I'll adjust.



Today's toss was a fancy cassette duplicator, a box of cables, and another small box of microphones and headphones.  I'm counting all of that as one thing since it's all related and was piled on top of each other.




This afternoon I went to the nearest YMCA, signed up for 2 weeks of complimentary membership (I got a flyer), got a tour from a nice young woman, and took a spin on the walking track.  I started re-listening to The Walk podcast since I got too busy and too crazy to finish it the first time I listened to it and the episodes are around 22 minutes each which I figure is a good way to ease into walking.  My hips and thighs were not fans of today's exertion.  They'll adjust.  I am determined to get into better walking shape for my trip to Yellowstone in late August with Lala who is an enthusiastic hiker.  I have no intention of going on any big hikes but I'd like to do some walking in the park and maybe do some ranger-led walks if I think they're my speed.  It felt good.



And tonight after supper I knitted 11 (of 22) rounds of the next critter hat body.  Moving right along.





11 December--Paul Gauguin, The Seed of the Areoi.  Liat sat where he told her to and held the huge seed in her left hand.  She wasn't sure why he insisted that she take off her sarong but everyone said that the painter was a bit of a madman.  He didn't smell good, this white man.  He smelled sour like he was decaying while he was still alive.  She was glad that Mama sat in the corner to make sure that Liat stayed untouched.  White people didn't understand that being bare-breasted didn't mean a girl was inviting advances.

Those of you who have read this blog for a while know that I have absolutely no patience with Gauguin's propensity for painting nude Tahitian girls.  I find it distasteful in the extreme.  Look at their faces, they didn't like it either.  What a perv.  Well, the dentist pretty much ruined my day.  I don't like being this irritated, frustrated, and achy.  Tylenol, take me away!  It used to be Calgon but I'm beyond that.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I hate your dentist too. What a pain -- literally -- to wait for the day when it all comes right and then have it all go wrong. And five stars??? I don't think so. That nude girl prompt came on the right day for you. You were mad anyway so might as well take it out on Gougan. (I know that isn't spelled right but this thing doesn't have spellcheck. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)