Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Not Much To Report

I didn't do much today that was noteworthy or photogenic.  This morning I looked out and saw an odd sight--sunshine!  They're threatening us with rain overnight, turning to sleet or snow tomorrow into Friday and high winds.  Oh goodie.  I don't have anything to do that needs driving off tomorrow but on Friday I have my assessment at the Y so the trainer can work out a program for me to follow.  I'm hoping that she can give me things to do that will strengthen my left ankle so it quits complaining so darned much when I walk more than around the grocery store.  I spent most of the late morning on the phone with a friend in Goshen, IN.  Durwood and I met them in the Miami airport when we were going to Aruba.  They were going to the same place so we shared a rental car and palled around for the week.  We vacationed with them a few more times and have stayed friends ever since.  She and I had a nice long (2 hours!) chat.  I think I'll swing by their house the next time I'm on my way home from Lexington, add a couple days to the trip so I can visit with them.  What a great idea!

I met ACJ down at The Attic Coffee and Books to write this afternoon.  Well, we spent an hour and a half chatting about Christmas and a jillion other things and only got around to doing a writing prompt just before her husband was picking her up.  (their daughter's car's on the blink so, as usual, Mom gave up her wheels so the grownup girl can get to work, etc. parents are self-sacrificing like that.)

After that little bit of writing I drove right to the Y to use the resistance machines and the aerobic ones.  I need to work up to a decent amount of time on the one that's like bicycle pedals except you're standing on flat tray-like things and have tall handles that go back and forth opposite the feet.  It looks easy but I barely managed 10 minutes on it and I'd cranked the resistance down to 6 and the incline to 1.  Like I said, gotta work up to it.  As I was putting my shirt into a locker in preparation to getting started I heard voices behind me say, "Is that Barbara?"  It was our old neighbors, G&MK who joined that Y today to start walking to get a bit of fitness going because their daughter, KKK, and her family live in Utah at a high enough elevation that they'll be sitting still and get out of breath.  It was fun to see them.  Then I was almost through with my resistance machines when my phone rang and it was my sister-in-law in Ohio.  I've been leaving messages for a couple weeks to see how he's doing (he's got circulation problems in one leg and might lose it) so I moved into the hallway to talk to her.  After we hung up I went and finished the chest presses then went to get winded and sweaty on the other machines.  It's fun.



Lala left the bag of fresh veggies she put in the fridge to stay fresh so she could take them to White Lake and promptly forgot them.  She called and told me to eat them so this evening I cut the partial cauliflower up, peeled and cut up the carrots, drizzled it with a teaspoon of olive oil, tossed in a teaspoon of minced garlic, stirred it all up, and roasted it to have with some of the ham leftover from yesterday.  Mmm.   I confess that I devoured the 2 remaining crescent rolls too.  Hey, they'd go bad if I didn't eat them, right?  Right.

26 December--Currier & Ives, Canadian Winter Scene.  The ice looked as flat as a mirror.  Gabe tied his skates' laces, tugged his new red wool hat over his ears, and stepped off the snowbank onto the lake ice.  It must have been calm when the water froze because there wasn't so much as a ripple in the sheet of ice.  He must be the first one out.  There weren't any marks in the ice, only some wolf or coyote tracks over in the reeds that caught the snow that blew off the smooth surface.  He liked the scratching sound his blades made.  He felt so free gliding along.  He didn't hear the slow crackle of the ice cracking behind him and catching up.

When I looked at the photos on my camera just now I realized that I haven't been knitting.  I've been sitting with my hands idle in my lap staring at the TV.  It's okay.  I wrote thank you notes to mail tomorrow and realized that I need to go down and sew up a dress so that I can try out my new selfie stick.  Oh, I know that I don't need a new dress to try it out but there's some motivation to get off my duff right there.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your rare days of "Not Much to Report" seem pretty full to me. All that activity at the Y is enough to tire me out just reading about it. Sounds like you might get that snow we spoke about on the phone so you and the kids can snowshoe. Hope it happens.