Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas!

Well, we've managed to make it through another Christmas relatively unscathed.  I have and I assume that you have.  This morning I Facetime-d with DD and got to wish her and her family Merry Christmas.  (She promised to be here for next Christmas.  Fingers crossed.)  Then I tidied up in preparation for DS and family coming over for supper.  As an added bonus, they brought the supper.  All I had to do was bake some sweet potatoes and put some English toffee and carmel mix in a bowl for dessert.  He got a coupon for a ham from work and she bought a nice one, baked and glazed it, sliced it too.  I highly recommend getting a chef-daughter-in-law combination if you can, DIL1 is a joy to have around, has an unseemly devotion to Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, and can slice a ham like a machine.  Plus she makes my son happy, supports his dreams, and is raising my fantabulous grandchildren.  I'm keeping her.  See what she made for me?  My very first gingerbread house!  It's cool, isn't it?  (I forgot to ask, does one eat this, a la Hansel and Gretel, or is it just decoration?)


Today's toss was a big hit with the younger set.  I found a bag of snow globes I bought one year at Goodwill to use for white elephant gifts for the family exchange and then that never happened so they're going back to Goodwill tomorrow but I thought that LC and OJ might enjoy playing with them.  I was right.  F.Y.I. they're surprisingly durable.



See my gifts?  I'm excited to page through the WW Freestyle cookbook (with attached spatula) from DS & family; DD & family sent me a new selfie stick (the old one crapped out) and a lucite fountain pen holder which is something I had to ask what it was but I like it; there was a snowman PEZ dispenser in my stocking (actually there was a Cindy Lou Who PEZ in there but LC wanted to swap) along with Groucho glasses & nose, some candy, and a spiky silicone fish with a ball that flashes when you bonk it; DIL1's parents gave me some swell soap, lotion, and one of those diffuser things.  It smells really strong; I'm reluctant to use it mostly because Durwood couldn't tolerate fragrance so I've gotten out of the habit.


I wore my Christmas Converse high-tops today.  I bought them for ten bucks at a Rogan's tent sale about 25 years ago.  They have a green sole, red and white striped lining, red sides, a green tongue, plaid laces, jingle bells hanging from the back, and the star disk on the inside ankle has a wreath around the star.  DD was about 12 years old when I bought them and she was mortified that I actually planned to wear them.  So, of course, I wore them all holiday season and even threatened to put a sign on my (already embarrassing) teal minivan that said, "Hi, I'm DD's mom and I'm wearing elf shoes."  I didn't do it but the threat shut her up.  For a while.


After supper we watched one of the DVDs I got yesterday, Christmas 1985, and it was a smash hit with DS and DIL1, the kids were not riveted like their parents were.  It was great.  We'll have more movie nights this winter.

Didn't write the prompt last night.  It was after midnight when I posted to the blog so I turned out the light and hit the hay.  It's hay hitting time right now.  Zzzzzzz.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You did make a haul but my favorite picture is the elf high tops. Had to brighten your day to have the kids and grandkids there. And the trip down memory lane to 1985 to top it all off.