Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What's Today's Toss?

 

I didn't feel like digging around in the "dirty" part of the basement today to resurrect boxes that hadn't been opened in at least 15 years so I waded around my bins and bags of fabric to the basement cookbook shelves and came up with this pile that will go to Goodwill tomorrow.






The Red-bellied Woodpecker came to the feeder this morning (because I put suet pellets in it yesterday afternoon) and just as it landed a squirrel clambered up the neighboring crook to nab some peanuts.  The woodpecker didn't fly away like I thought she would, she just leaned back like she needs bifocals to see the squirrel, then went on eating.


 

This afternoon I made the corrections in the knitting guild newsletter and got it sent out--a week early.  I don't know how I managed that.  Usually I'm scrambling to get it out a day late but I'm not complaining.


I met my writing friend ACJ down at The Attic Cafe after lunch where we talked about writing, did a prompt writing, but somehow I didn't manage to get any actual writing done.  Oh!  Now I remember.  I'd emailed the latest manuscript to my Kindle and for some crazy reason it wouldn't download.  I poked at it, made sure I had the correct password to get online there, poked some more, even swore a bit (only a bit) but the darned thing wouldn't download so I didn't have the raw material I needed to plunge into the next scene.  (I ended up calling Amazon Customer Service when I got home and the tech initiated a screen-share, poked around some, and finally got it to load.  He didn't know how he did it but I'm not complaining.)  I probably could have just leaped in and got some words down but then a dive buddy stopped in to chat and that put paid to the writing.



I called DM this morning because I knew that she and her husband are leaving for Bonaire on Saturday and I missed seeing them stop into the dive shop for last minute things and getting to share a bit in their excitement to go.  As we were chatting about this and that she asked if there wasn't something of Durwood's I'd like them to take to leave in Bonaire since they wouldn't have gone there if it hadn't been for us extolling the great diving.  She caught me off guard but I said I'd think about it.  I didn't want to send anything that could be scooped up by someone, then I thought of those prayer cards that were left over from the funeral so I got one out, tore it into tiny pieces (so it degrades fast), and put it into an envelope.  She stopped to pick it up and agreed to send the pieces into the sea at Tori's Reef, one of our favorite reefs.  One of their favorites too.  It brought another little cry but I'm glad that something of him will be down there.  He loved it so.



After supper I felt guilty just sitting watching TV so I cast on a Bodhi Leave washcloth.  This yarn is some DD gave away when she was clearing out her stash and I thought it'd make a nice cloth.  This is a nice pattern for a nice, small cloth.  I like it.





28 November--Paul Gauguin, Mr. Loulou.  Boys need to run and play.  They need dirt, a dog, bugs, and mud--or water to make dirt into mud.  Albert longed to be outside, to run barefoot on summer lawns, and dig worms to go fishing.  Albert's mother feared the germs she was certain lived in the soil and grass and especially dogs.  She dressed Albert like every day was Sunday and kept him indoors.  He was allowed out in the garden for an hour in the afternoon.

Poor Albert.  I'm always relieved when the Art Page-a-day has a Gauguin that isn't bare-breasted Tahitian girls.  They always look so sulky and unhappy to be there.  I think old Paul was a perv.  That's just my opinion.  Tomorrow morning I get to go talk to the broker about investing the proceeds from the sale of some stock.  She picks out a few for me to choose from and I leave there feeling very smart.  Heh.  I sure am glad that Durwood started dragging me along all those years ago when I complained that I didn't understand a word that was said.  Eventually I did and I do.  Sorta.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh my goodness. I love those friends of yours who'll take the remembrance of D with them to Bonaire. What a thoughtful thing to do. And your decision of the prayer card is perfect. When I think of him, he's always under the sea. I know how much he loved that. Love the woodpecker who needs bifocals. Cute description of that picture. You do have a way with words. XXXXX