Saturday, November 24, 2018

Making Cozies

 


I am invited to attend a bridal shower tea for my renter tomorrow at 1 PM.  I got the invitation over a month ago and decided right away that I'd make soup bowl cozies and buy some nice bowls for them.  Did I make the cozies and get the bowls then so that I wouldn't be doing it at the last minute?  Of course not.  I found the bowls yesterday and this afternoon I made the cozies.  After supper tonight I went up to Dollar Tree for tissue paper, a gift bag, and a card.  So it isn't exactly the last minute, but it's damn close.  I plan to print off my favorite Fast Chicken Soup Base recipe to tuck into the package.  I have some nice stationary to print it on.  

Question: if I can't make the wedding do I need to send a gift?


What a dreary day today was, gray and drizzly.  It was a good thing I hid in the basement sewing.  Oh, the other day I started to sew one of the flannel dresses I cut out a few weeks ago but the sewing machine was acting goofy.  I figured out today that the thread was the problem.  I don't know what kind of thread it was, all of the labels had come off the spool, but I pulled it all off the bobbins and threw the spool and all of the "bad" thread away, then rewound the bobbins with regular thread.  The machine worked like a charm.  Thank god.  I did not want to have to do battle with my oldest sewing machine to get this shower gift made.  I would have (and probably blistered the ceiling with my language) gotten the job done.


This afternoon I gave the fruitcakes their first tablespoons of syrup.  I decided this morning to put the loaves back into the foil pans I baked them in so that they're sitting in the syrup and each of them can absorb it.  None will get wasted.  I also got out a couple 2.5 gallon zipper bags (from Dollar Tree) to put them in.  Don't want fruit flies.



Today's toss was the second and last set of handyman encyclopedias.  I kept a basic carpentry guide and a general DIY book but am letting the rest of the books go.  I'll never use them.


Last week (or was it the week before) I let the president-elect of the knitting guild talk me into resuming posting on the guild's blog so I did that yesterday.  I'm such a pushover sometimes.

I didn't write the prompt last night, I was just too sleepy.  In fact, I fell asleep at the keyboard in mid-blog so I posted it and went to bed.  The blast of energy I've felt since Durwood's death is waning.  I'm not complaining but I wish the sun would shine, that always makes me feel better.  Time to go night-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That is such a perfect shower gift. And no, I don't think another gift is required. It's not like they're family. All those carpentry books. Looks like an entire semester of shop could be taught just using those.