Monday, November 12, 2018

I Still Don't Need More Yarn... Or Fabric

But I got some of each today anyway.  I am helpless before the words "on sale" or "clearance" or "close out."  Nothing I bought today was full price.  Not one fiber of it.  DD was my willing chauffeur.  She took the day off so she and I could spend the day together.  It was wonderful to have her all to myself.  We started the day at Joann Fabrics.  Not a great Joann's but they had t-shirt knits 50% off and in the solids I haven't found at home, so I got enough to make long-sleeved tees.



Then we went to Magpie Yarns where we pawed through myriad baskets of 40% off skeins.  I've been thinking that I need to knit myself more socks.  These two skeins of sock yarn stuck to my fingers.  Aren't they pretty?  40% off!




DD's mother-in-law told her about an upholstery and drapery fabric store downtown that had fabric for $3/yard.  They were out of the $3/yard fabric but they had $5/yard fabric and I found this heavy linen with black designs on it that is wide enough for me to cut and sew up a 100 Acts of Sewing Dress no. 3 (aka caftan).  I plan to raise the v-neck and make it for wintertime lounging.






There are painted horses all over town (what a surprise) and this Steampunk one caught my eye as we drove by.  The shot's a little blurry but I like the colors and the gears, etc. painted on it.


 



After a lunch of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, DD and I sat in my room knitting and chatting. It was great, and I finished LC's Slip-Stitch Cap, except for the pompom.  That I'll have to make when I get home, I left my pompom tool there.


Probably the most exciting thing that happened today is that I managed to get a reservation for a cabin in Yellowstone for a friend and me in late summer 2019.  A couple weeks ago I was bemoaning the fact that Durwood and I couldn't stay long the last time we were there because he couldn't breathe (an excellent reason to leave), that there were things I had wanted to see and do so she said "well, let's go."  So we are.  She found a cabin north of there where we can sit out surrounded by mountains in the quiet after the hubbub of a week in Yellowstone.  We're planning to rent an SUV for the trip since neither of our vehicles will lend itself to a long car trip.  Now we have about 9 months to read maps and guidebooks and figure out what we really want to see.  I love planning trips, don't you?

Soon I'll be heading back to the cold of Wisconsin.  I'll miss DD, SIL1, and GGSI but will be glad to be back in my little nest where I plan to spend the winter sorting through the mountain of crap that's accumulated in the basement, one box a day, until I can see the walls.  How's that for a radical plan?
--Barbara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I shouldn't tell you this, Barbara, but I'll be in Paducah, Kentucky in January and we'll make a stop at Hancocks. The place is incredible!!

Aunt B said...

You're becoming the traveling woman. The trip to Yellowstone sounds wonderful; I know how much you loved it the time you and D were there. Good for you. Don't forget us down here in the Sunny South. Flight Reservations all made for you to trade the snow in February for the sunshine in FL. Details to follow. Safe trip home today.