Monday, November 19, 2018

Not So Fast

Remember that I thought I was finished with the cuff of Appleseed Mitts #2 yesterday?  Well, this evening when I picked it up to keep knitting I realized that the top half of the cables weren't criss-crossing they were making chain links.  Wrong!  So the mitt and I went to the frog pond and now there's a whole new cuff started on my needles.  I'd have frogged back to when things went awry but I couldn't figure out how to pick the cable stitches back up so I started from scratch.  I got the inch of ribbing done and decided to call it a night.





Look what I saw outside the window this morning.  Snow!  It fell for about an hour and then petered out, melting through the day in the intermittent sunshine.  One of these days it'll snow, stick, and not melt no matter how sunny it gets.  *sigh*  I'll admit that I want to go snowshoeing but I don't really want it to snow yet.



 

Today's toss was a big box of old shaving kits.  How old?  The packaging says 1984 but I figure that the razors will be good even if the shaving cream has separated.




 
I popped into Goodwill after dropping off the box to find some plaid shirts for a craft I have the pattern for and cruised the clearance book racks only to find a book with 93 different Rice Krispie treats "recipes" for tinting and shaping the cereal and marshmallow yumminess into different shapes.  Not flavors, only shapes.  It was 79 cents.  I couldn't leave it behind.  Haven't you always wanted to make Rice Krispie treat drumsticks or a life-size Rice Krispie treat watermelon with black licorice "seeds" to take to a picnic?  If you ever do, let me know, I have the directions.




This Downy Woodpecker came while the snow was falling for a suet snack.


19 November--Leon Bakst, Costume design for The Firebird ballet by Igor Stravinsky.  Lila floated down the stairs in a dress that looked to be made from feathers and fire.  Her movement made the fabric swirl and float around her and the feathers in her hair trembled with each step.  The dancers stopped and stared at her as if she were something rare landing in their midst.  Karl stepped forward to meet her at the foot of the staircase.

And that's where the words petered out.  Oh well, I'm happy for the few words that trickle out at the end of the day.  By the time I get to them I'm too tired for more.  What's tomorrow?  Oh yeah, Tuesday.  I'm meeting an acquaintance for coffee in the afternoon and hope to get myself down to the sewing machine in the morning.  It cold and I need more than one flannel dress to wear all winter.  There are four or five of them cut out down there, ready to be zoomed together.  I should get on it.  And do laundry while I'm down there.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

When I read your comment about the snow picture -- "look what I saw ...." -- I thought at first it was a UFO! But then realized it is the stained glass hanging at the top of the window. As usual, I love your bird pictures. The cardinal against the blue sky the other day and then the woodpecker hanging there on the feeder. It really is birdland up there in your backyard.