Sunday, November 25, 2018

Pinkies Up


 

I went to my friend/neighbor/renter's bridal shower this afternoon.  It was a Jane Austen-themed tea party.  They had the coolest stuff.  Even though the cups, saucers, and plates were paper they looked like china and there were little Jane Austen buttons for each of us.  Mine says, "I (heart) Mr. Darcy."   The food fit the tea party theme too, little heart shaped cucumber and hummus canapes, tiny chicken salad tartlets, and little bitty cinnamon buns. The centerpieces were china cups, creamers, and teapots with flowers in them.  I won a game prize but since I'm trying to have less stuff I told EJ that she can have the creamer--once the flowers fade.  She's glad, she doesn't have a creamer.  I wonder if someone took home the matching sugar bowl.  She liked the bowls and cozies that were my gift.  It was a nice way to spend a couple hours.




 

I spent most of the day knitting on Appleseed Mitt #2 using the Knit Companion app on my iPad.  It's so much easier to follow the pattern on the big screen instead of trying to balance a sheet of paper on my lap or squint at it lying on the coffee table or next to me on the couch.






This evening HH and I went over to KW's apartment to knit for a couple hours and I finished the thumb gusset and got a couple rows of the palm knitted.  Pretty soon I'll have a pair of mitts.  Won't that be nice?







Today I took down a heavy box of what turned out to be very old darkroom supplies.  There were a couple ancient cameras in the box that I kept but the rest of it went right into the trash.  I think I'll gather up all of the old cameras, etc. and post them on eBay and Facebook Marketplace just to see if anyone's interested.  I checked on eBay this afternoon and a lot of old film cameras are offered but few, if any, have bids on them so I don't have a lot of hope.


25 November--Charles V. Bond. Still Life: Fruit, Bird, and Dwarf Pear Tree.  Carin sat and watched the yellow bird.  It landed on the grapevine and eyed the bowl of berries.  It looked around to see if the coast was clear then swooped over to nab a raspberry in its beak.  She stifled a laugh not wanting to scare the feathered marauder away.  Carin knew that Mama planned to serve those berries after supper but still she didn't chase the bird off.  She was peeling pears for making pear sauce, the bowl on her lap filling with fruit and juice.  She let the peels fall to the ground where the chickens and bees would find them.

It pains me to say that one month from today is, gasp, Christmas.  I've got a bunch of gifts already and have ideas for a few more.  Now's the time for me to sort through them and make notes about what still needs getting so I'm not running around like a chicken with its head lopped off in three weeks.  Cheerful thought, eh?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That shower sounds delightful. It had to be fun to put all that together. I love stuff like that. Your mittens are going to be beautiful. Fit for "formal wear." Your basement unpacking must be like a trip back in time. Good luck selling the cameras. Won't hurt to try even if you don't get any takers.