Friday, November 9, 2018

Not In The Land Of Snow

But at least I'm back online.  Not having the Internet, except on my phone, for the last three
days (THREE DAYS!!!) hasn't been too bad.  I've been seeing new places and old friends & relatives.  I reconnected with an aunt, uncle, and cousins this week and I am thrilled.  It was great to sit and visit and remember why I have loved those people since we met.  Family, you know.  Gotta love it.  I did keep my needles clicking while we visited.  I'm only about an inch away from time to start shaping the top of LC's Packer Slip-Stitch Cap.  I'm glad I decided to make the biggest child size instead of the small woman/child hat because I think that one would have swallowed her head.  Watch, this'll be just a bit too small.  I know what I'll do, I'll make it a bit taller which will help it adjust if it's a bit off.  Brilliant.




On Wednesday I drove past one of my favorite parts of Indiana--the windmill farms.  I don't know why I like them so much but I'm always just thrilled when I come down the highway and those giant white blades are standing in ranks chopping the wind.



 
I coerced my aunt into driving me to a yarn shop outside of Indianapolis the other day.  I exercised restraint only buying some grey wool and a variegated skein to see how one of those Slip-Stitch Caps looks with non-solid yarn, and then a few skeins of alpaca from the clearance room.


However.  This morning I drove back to Nomad Yarns because I had neglected to take photos of it for the knitting guild newsletter--and because there were these skeins of baby alpaca chunky yarn in the clearance room that needed to come home with me.  *sigh*  I'm defenseless against clearance alpaca.  *double sigh*


This was my view this afternoon--the Ohio River.  I was a clever monkey and told the GPS that I wanted to go to Cincinnati when I left Indianapolis and then 30 miles or so down the road I changed my destination to Lexington which let me get here and not have to battle that snarl of highways that includes the bridge over the Ohio at Louisville.  A much more restful drive.


Tonight DD, SIL1, GGSI, and I went to a Thai place for supper and then investigated a Lebanese or Iranian bakery for dessert.  Here's what I chose.  It's called faysaliya which I have decided means "shredded wheat of the gods."  It's shredded phyllo stuffed with almonds, walnuts, pistachios then drizzled with honey glaze.  Oh. My.  I took about three bites, took this photo, and put it away for tomorrow.  So good but so rich.

I haven't been writing the prompt of an evening.  I've fallen into bed every night, replete with good food, good friends, and beloved relatives.  All three of which can tire a girl out.  I'm safe, happy, and feeling very intrepid having survived the first half of my first solo long trip.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you're back on line and can blog. Am I selfish or what?? But reading your daily account is a part of my morning routine -- you and coffee! Love all the pix of your trip. And clever girl to find a way to trick your GPS to avoid a traffic snarl. I'll take your word for the delicious dessert. It looked like a big hunk of shredded wheat and not something sweet. But good for you for trying something new and different. Have lots of fun with all the family. Give them hugs and XXXXX from Aunt B.