Sunday, November 11, 2018

To a Yarn Shop

No one should be surprised that's where DD and I went this afternoon.  And no one should
be surprised that I bought yarn.  I didn't mean to.  There wasn't any yarn that I couldn't live without on the clearance shelves.  I don't NEED any yarn.  I probably won't NEED yarn for the rest of my days.  But in honor of their 12th anniversary, ReBelle produced yarns dyed in the colors of the zodiac signs.  I'm a Virgo.

According to Astro Style, Have you ever met someone who was a perfectionist, a people-pleaser and even a little bit nit-picky and judgmental? Chances are, this person was a Virgo, the sign born between August 23-September 22. Learning the Virgo star sign personality and Virgo traits can help you coexist in harmony with this zodiac sign, which can be health-conscious and practical, but also uptight and overly-critical.
     Chief among the traits of a Virgo is their strong need for perfectionism. A Virgo is very opinionated and they despise laziness. They are highly productive and love analyzing a situation, but can often get stuck in analysis-paralysis as they nit-pick at all the details. Ruled by communication planet Mercury, a Virgo is an expert conversationalist. Virgo is the sign of the Virgin or Maiden, which is symbolic for a Virgo’s innocence or purity. As the zodiac’s sixth sign, Virgo loves anything streamlined and systematized.
     Positive Virgo astrology traits include being dedicated, resourceful, helpful, hardworking and witty. They’re not afraid to speak their minds and voice their opinions! A Virgo can become anxious when they criticize themselves and others to the point of obsession. This is a sign that could benefit from the old adage, “Nobody’s perfect.”

This info should surprise no one who knows me well.  I'm embarrassed to say that those three paragraphs above describe me in a nutshell.  Aaanyway, the yarn is colors that I'd never have chosen but I like this yarn and when I looked up Virgo's colors and they're green and brown.  I guess that's why I gravitate to them even if my favorite color is red and I think I look best in red.  I'll find a pattern to knit this up into.


I poked around in the store and in a side room (the shop is in an old cottage in a neighborhood near downtown) found a display of clay mugs and yarn bowls.  There was one travel-shaped mug glazed in red and black.  I liked the colors and when I turned it around to look at it from all sides the word "Muggle" was inscribed on it and I fell in love.  It's going home with me.


 


On a windowsill shelf there was a pile of pads of paper.  I flip the pages and find that they're cuts from calendar pages, posters, what look like flyers.  I ask about them and RH tells me that they're scratch pads made by graphic artists.  As a lover of oddball papers, I have to have one.

We went to Hall's on the River with SIL1's parents for supper.  Oddly, a pickup truck with Wisconsin plates pulls in ahead of us and parks right next to us.  I get out and ask, "Where in Wisconsin are you from?"  The lady with salt-and-pepper hair says, "Near Milwaukee."  I say, "I'm from Green Bay, where are you from really?"  "Ah, West Bend."  (I didn't ask if they had cheese in a cooler.) The odd thing is that we'd followed another WI vehicle on the way out there.  And here I thought that I was the only Wisconsin resident with a pass this week.  I ordered the same thing I had the last time we ate there--shrimp and grits--and it was just as delicious but not as pretty on the plate.  *shrugs*  It was a lovely time.

Time to wrap this up and hit the hay.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a great day you had. Yes, you're a Virgo through and through and although that yarn wasn't your favorite color, it is definitely Packer colors -- green and gold! Funny to be among Wisconsinites even when you travel. They're all over the place.