Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Tradition Is A Good Thing

Today tradition made my house smell good.  Thanksgiving tradition dictates that I make onion bread using a recipe out of an ancient Betty Crocker Breads cookbook, which I'm glad you can't see in the photo because the book's falling apart and is stained all over.

First I assembled the mis en place,  (that's "get your sh** together" in French)



then the dough goes into a greased bowl to rise for an hour, (looks like a bowl of Silly Putty, doesn't it?)




 


once it's doubled it gets punched down, cut in half, and each half gets rolled out into a 2 ft. snake, then coiled into greased cake pans and buttered, and left to rise again,





after 30 minutes or so in the oven during which time it makes the house smell like heaven (Lipton Onion Soup mix and molasses, yum) and comes out looking like this.  Tomorrow I'll slice it on the electric slicer and rebag it to take to Thanksgiving dinner.



The toss of the day was 3 winter coats that I don't wear and haven't worn for at least a century so out they went.



After supper and talking to DD on the phone for a while I finished knitting the first of three Top This! hats.  Quick and easy and darned cute.


21 November--Claude Monet, Poplars.  The late afternoon sun tinted the leaves with a peach-colored light that made them look almost blue.  Julie shoved her hands into her jeans pockets and kept walking.  She barely noticed the light or the leaves.  David had called to say that he had to go to South Dakota to get one of the offices straightened out and thought the company might want him to stay for a few months.  He said he thought if he managed to turn the place around maybe they would make him the district manager there.  They would have to move.  Julie wasn't crazy about moving again.  She had just begun to feel at home in Kentucky, had finally gotten the last cartons unpacked and was making friends.  Did she really want to start over out on the prairie?


For some reason I just couldn't get moving today.  I had the devil of a time waking up, spent three hours on the computer before I knew what was happening and the rest of the day just petered out.  I'm glad I got the bread made.  Whew. 

In the afternoon I realized why I felt low, I'm missing Durwood.  In October I ordered some temporary tattoos and one is of a hummingbird.  Durwood loved hummingbirds so I put one on my left forearm.  Made me feel a little better. Happy Thanksgiving, all!  Eat lots of pie.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, if you ever want to get a permanent tattoo, we’ll take you!!! Happy thanksgiving. Love you!
-theo

Aunt B said...

I thought of D yesterday too. His spirit must have been visiting for the holiday. I remembered those hundreds of tiny meatballs he'd make for some kind of soup that you'd make this time of year. Glad you have that cute little hummingbird as a reminder of that sweet, sweet man.

P.S. Love the look of that bread! And the hat is too cute.

Happy Turkey Day.