Sunday, May 1, 2022

Lovesick

This male Mourning Dove has been plaintively cooing on my patio for days. I don't know if the object of his devotion is the same female every time but he is persistent and continuously rebuffed, poor guy. He puffs up his chest, inflates his crop, and coos. She keeps on pecking at seeds and dodges away when he comes close. He finally flew up to the birdbath to coo from on high but didn't get a better response. I fear he is romantically doomed.


It was a crummy day--again--overcast, breezy, and intermittent drizzle, so I didn't really go outside much. I took the little rake out and got a lot of leaves out of my window well that doesn't flood the basement and took the leaves to the curb but have to wait for the soil to dry around the other window well before I clean out that one. It's right at the dividing line between my side and the renters' side. I'll get it cleaned out in a day or two, provided it doesn't rain again.



So I just drew all afternoon. It was the 30 Days book's turn so I drew things in 2-point perspective. Not very artsy since I used a ruler to get the lines lined up with the vanishing points but I realized that I had less trouble figuring out the more complicated figure than the last time I attempted it.


Then I turned the page in 10-Step Drawing: Nature and found what they call a Goldfinch. It doesn't look anything like an American Goldfinch except for a little yellow and black on the wings but it was still fun to draw. 


And that was my day. I didn't toss anything, I stripped and remade the bed, and put fresh towels in the bathroom and kitchen. It is the first of the month, after all, time to start fresh.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Whole new month. Hooray, hooray - the first of May...... Remember that little ditty of your Dad's?