Monday, May 16, 2022

Flowery

I was surprised to see that the lilac bush is starting to bloom. There aren't a lot of blossoms on it, I think it got a too-thorough haircut last fall but I'm not complaining. It smells terrific. I noticed it especially when I was ducking under the branches when I mowed the lawn this afternoon. I probably could have waited another week to mow but that would have stretched to nearly two weeks because of my week away. Better to get a jump on the weeds.


Mrs. Hummingbird visited the feeder this morning and I was lucky enough to be looking that way and have time to grab the camera and get her picture. When I went out to fill the feeders the other day I was distressed to see that the nectar feeder was nearly empty. Would the Hummingbirds come back if it ran out? So I tried to keep an eye out over the weekend and didn't see one but, whew, there was the little female today.


The last time I drew out of the You Can Draw in 30 Days book he had me trace a da Vinci drawing of a woman over and over. I saved the Bonus Challenge for the next time I drew out of that book. That came today and it was another face. I'm getting a lot of face time (see what I did there?) these days.



The next figure in 10-Step: Nature was California Poppy. I was sure that I wouldn't be able to draw the complicated leaves but I took my time and realized that I didn't have to reproduce them exactly. When we were out in California years and years ago I fell in love with the little poppies and tried to grow them but they never came back after the first year and I gave up. I figured that the winter here is just too cold for California flowers. I'm really loving the 10-Step series of books.


Today's toss was an old book that I found in a tote bag in the basement.

For the last week my basement has been smelling like sewage and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I figured that I had to be the floor drain but couldn't figure out how to fix it so I called a drain guy this morning anticipating another service call. He said that the water in the drain had either gone stagnant or dried up and all I had to do was fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with cool water, pour it down the drain, and that would take care of the smell. I did what he said and I think that took care of it--and I didn't even have to pay a service charge. Hallelujah!

Lately I've been having a heck of a time seeing the computer screen, books, and my drawings clearly. I'd have to tip my head back a lot to see through the bottom of the bifocal part and that was uncomfortable. I realized that I could go to Eyemart Express and get a pair of reading glasses made that would solve the problem. So I went after my haircut today. In fact I got two pairs because two is the same price as one. Now I have reading glasses that live by the computer and reading glasses that live at the table where I draw and read books. Simple solution and for the low, low price of thirty-eight dollars and seventy-one cents. And one of the frames is named Barbara! They're even red. I had to buy them.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your drawings from the 10-Step Nature book are truly outstanding. I envy your lilacs. Even if the blossoms are sparse, that smell! And speaking of smells, glad you got a free fix-it tip from the drain guy. That doesn't happen every often. Congrats on capturing the lady hummingbird. Thanks.

P.S. "Face time" -- got it!!!