Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stormy Night



We were awakened by a raging thunderstorm at about 1 AM.  Durwood got up, I didn't.  Well I got up to potty but then I was back in bed and leaving the storm to rage alone.  He got up to attend the performance.  Everything's wet this morning and, according to the newsies, Appleton and Wrightstown (30 and 20 miles south, respectively) got hammered by strong winds.  Roofs are off, trees are down, and sheds are flattened.  Glad we missed that part of the festivities, but happy to have the rain.

Late yesterday afternoon I went down into the basement studio to... well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I ended up sorting through WIPs (works in progress), taking the needles out of some to reclaim the yarn, putting needles away in their proper places (with their sizes marked for ease of use) and putting a few of them and some sock yarn into a box to either share or donate.  I was all ready to donate or share a bag of sock yarn ends when I flipped through Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders and found a baby sweater I have to make for the coming babe.  Have. To.

Durwood was watching Good Day Wisconsin the other day and Amy, the lifestyle show woman, was making something with stuff she'd gotten at the farmer's market and asked for recipes.  I made one up a few years back by layering potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, sauteed onion, celery, and bell peppers, Roma tomatoes, baking it for a while covered, then uncovering it, putting shredded cheese (I used Gouda but you can use any cheese on hand) on top and baking it until it's done.  So I sent it in yesterday.  Maybe she'll make it on TV.  That'd be cool, wouldn't it?  (If you'd like the recipe, comment or email and I'll share.)

August 7--Johann Erhard Heiglen, Rosewater Ewer.  The liquid in the ewer looked like red wine but it was too thick to be wine.  Grace leaned over to smell it and the coppery aroma of it turned her spine to ice.  It was blood.  A lot of blood.  She knew it.  No one else was in the room.  Where had it come from?  She walked around the table the ornate pitcher rested on to see if there was a hint as to how it got there.  It wasn't hunting season, she knew that.  Larson appeared in the doorway and she nearly screamed.  "Did you need something, Miss?"  His voice made her feel like she was intruding.  "No, I... I'm going for a walk," she said and she snatched a coat off a hook in the closet by the door and left the house.  The gold autumn sun felt good on her face as she walked away from the cold stone house.

Okay, kiddos, that's it for me today.  Time to shower and zoom off to keep the world safe from SCUBA diving.  Have a great day.
--Barbara

No comments: