Friday, September 1, 2023

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today was my 72nd birthday. It was a lovely day. I goofed off most of the morning, zoomed with women writers in the afternoon, had supper at DS's house, and then zoomed with knitting friends. I got cards in the mail, cards in person, and handmade cards. Also a bunch of red carnations. The big deal of the day was the fact that LC made my birthday cake all by herself. She found the recipe, DIL1 got out the tools, etc. she needed, and after that she was on her own. She made a chocolate ice box cake with chocolate whipped cream layered with Oreos and topped with chocolate curls. It was delicious!



A rather shopworn looking Cardinal stopped to see if there was any fallen seed left today. A young Downy Woodpecker stopped a couple times that I saw but didn't stay long enough for a photo shoot.


The diggers filled in the holes in the neighbor's yard with gravel, topped it with soil, and flung down some grass seed. I hope this scene means they're done on our street. Fingers crossed. They did dig up a little place in my front yard but filled it right back in so I think I'm safe.



I wasn't as thorough as I thought I was when I snipped off the buds on the purple mum plant. I went out this morning and there are purple mums blooming. I'm leaving them alone. It's close enough to the right time for them to bloom.


The reason I was out there this morning was because Dad's rose had some new buds on it and I wanted to see if there were any Japanese Beetles in the area. I didn't see any but I'll keep checking.



I was back to 20 Ways to Draw a Tree today. No trees, just clouds, an apple, grass seeds, a tree seed, an egg, and a shell. I think I like the sprig of grass seeds the best. The tree seed pod comes in second.

 

I got home from supper in time to log onto my Friday Night Knitting zoom. I added a few rows to the Muchness Scarf. It's probably a foot long and just as soft as can be. I don't hate knitting on it--yet.

 

I decided to get ahead of the game and went on GetCovers to order new, audiobook covers for all of my books. I included the photo that I used for the cover of Better Than Mom's but they said they don't use photos from that stock photo provider. I don't know why, maybe because it's copyright free. Anyway I had to sign up on another stock photo site and find a different photo. It's okay and it will look fine, I'm sure, but I wanted them all to match. *sigh*

Anyway, I had a good birthday.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Having your darling granddaughter make your birthday cake all by herself (!!!) made it so very special. Glad you had a little party over there with your kids. Sounded like a good day all the way around.