Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Tasty Welcome

I probably shouldn't say this, but things are going well in the NaNoWriMo arena. I probably just jinxed myself and tomorrow the words will freeze in my fingers and I won't be able to squeeze out even a hundred of them, but I have faith in myself and in the freaky wrinkle in time and space that is National Novel Writing Month. All the good mojo is out and about, grab some for yourself!

After the fire in the hotel yesterday I knew that Rose would be doubting herself, and sure enough she was, but Silas, Edward, and Johnno took good care of her. Here's a bit of today's output:

Just as I was thinking it was probably getting around to lunch time, Johnno came walking down the road with a basket in his hands. “Yo, Rosie, I bought lunch for the working folks.” He was laughing at his cleverness, calling me Rosie. His big happy face lightened my mood and the good curry smell wafting from the basket lifted me right off my stool. “What did you bring?” I said trying on tiptoe to peer in to see what smelled so good. “You just be patient.” He pulled the basket away so that I could not see in, then he turned his head and shouted, “Silas, Edward, get out here before your employer eats all the food.” We heard four feet making fast tracks for the back of the hotel. I poured a bit of water into an old metal basin so that we could clean our hands and faces. While we washed up a bit, Johnno turned a wooden crate on its end and balanced half a sheet of plywood on top of it. He whipped out a bright cotton cloth from his basket, covered the raw wood, and began emptying his basket. I could not believe my eyes at the feast that emerged. Hot curried goat rolled in warm flat bread with a creamy yogurt sauce that reminded me of the Greek tzatziki sauce you get on gyros, thick slices of succulent pink watermelon framed by its deep green rind, and a pitcher of mango ice tea with sprigs of fresh mint in it. I sat down on my nail pulling stool quite unable to believe my eyes. “Johnno, this is… well, I really appreciate this.”

Daily count: 1775 words
Total count: 18,139 words

This weekend I'll hit 25k for sure. That's halfway, baby!
--Barbara

No comments: